• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

I need the congregation's advice

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I need the congregation's advice

I'm currently in a really quite dull contract which is slowly turning my brain to mush.

I'm due to expire in 3 weeks, but have been offered an extension through to Feb 2009.

I really don't want to take the extension because I'm finding the work so tedious it's like wading through treacle, yet given the current state of the economy and the testing market I'm tempted to take the money, shut my mouth and hope I'm not brain dead by February.

All advice sensible or otherwise appreciated.
    ǝןqqıʍ

1) Are you Wilmslow?
    2) Are you SpriteBoy?
    3) Anything else on the horizon (or jobserve)?
    ‎"See, you think I give a tulip. Wrong. In fact, while you talk, I'm thinking; How can I give less of a tulip? That's why I look interested."

Comment

Go in and provide the best service you can.
      Bank the cash.
      Update your skills on the side (learn something new).

Win,Win and Win.

Comment

Originally posted by Moscow Mule View Post
        1) Are you Wilmslow?
        2) Are you SpriteBoy?
        3) Anything else on the horizon (or jobserve)?
        1) No
        2) No
        3) There's some work out there, but not a great deal and I'm struggling to even get a call back from agents.
        ǝןqqıʍ

Comment

Originally posted by DiscoStu View Post
          3) There's some work out there, but not a great deal and I'm struggling to even get a call back from agents.
          You've answered your own question then.
          "Experience hath shewn, that even under the best forms of government those entrusted with power have, in time, and by slow operations, perverted it into tyranny. "

Thomas Jefferson

Comment

Stick it out and skill up in something that complements your current skills.

Comment

I'm due to expire in 3 weeks...

Get your affairs sorted, life insurance, wills etc - then go on a spanking great holiday - go out on a high!

HTH

Si posse, recte, si non, quocumque modo rem

Comment

Take it
                also take a week off at the end of june, one at the end of july and then august.
                take the money but protect you mental health by having a relaxing summer

(\__/)
                (>'.'<)
                ("")("") Born to Drink. Forced to Work

Comment

Originally posted by Bear View Post

Get your affairs sorted, life insurance, wills etc - then go on a spanking great holiday - go out on a high!

HTH

You mean

Comment

I've been through this before, and sometimes you just have to put your personal feelings aside and think practically. I almost quit my current contract a while back because I was SO bored of the work.

However, after posting on here for opinions and thinking about things rationally I decided to stay. The money is good and the work is easy, but most importantly the market just isn't great and I'd probably have to move to Europe to find decent contracts.

Look at the bigger picture - after all, there's nothing wrong with accepting the renewal and just doing it for the money. Something better will come along and 6 months or a year is not a long time to have to bide things out.

Comment

Working...
                    X