• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

The Official CUK Beijing Olympics Thread

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The Official CUK Beijing Olympics Thread

Love it or hate it, it is back, and this time they have hosted in Beijing.

The 2008 Beijing Olympics begin on 2008-08-08 08:08:08 pm

Swimming seems to be one of a minority of events where it is more interesting to watch females compete than the men. Especially before they get into the water. Do you think for sound hydrodynamical reasons that the female swimmers should be allowed to swim naked and that male swimmers should be banned? I'm pretty sure the men's event is always won by tall white people anyway, so isn't it pointless and vacuous exercise, and racist too?

Originally posted by TimberWolf View Post
    Swimming seems to be one of a minority of events where it is more interesting to watch females compete than the men.
    Beach volleyball is the only other one I can think of. Not sure it's in the lineup for Beijing though.

Comment

Originally posted by oracleslave View Post
      Beach volleyball is the only other one I can think of. Not sure it's in the lineup for Beijing though.
      You're in luck:

"...beach volleyball players must have outstanding ball skills..."

Comment

Originally posted by NickFitz View Post
        I remember someone posted a link here once to the list of London 2012 contracts that were supposedly available for contractors. I looked for 'beach volley ball usher' but couldn't find anything

Comment

Olympic themes

Further to the Olympics starting todayish and motivated further by a recent news article on the hearts of rowers enlarging, I was wondering what the life expectancy of the various Olympic disciplines were. Does anyone have any raw data or something witty/insightful to say on this important matter? For example I suspect that not many heavyweight lifters will be getting a letter from the queen. What about marathon runners, or cyclists? Is hard training detrimental to longevity, or is it okay if you stop before you get too old? Also does sports done to excess knacker up your joints?

Comment

Originally posted by TimberWolf View Post
            Further to the Olympics starting todayish and motivated further by a recent news article on the hearts of rowers enlarging, I was wondering what the life expectancy of the various Olympic disciplines were. Does anyone have any raw data or something witty/insightful to say on this important matter? For example I suspect that not many heavyweight lifters will be getting a letter from the queen. What about marathon runners, or cyclists? Is hard training detrimental to longevity, or is it okay if you stop before you get too old? Also does sports done to excess knacker up your joints?
            Well, if you're chinese and lose then your expectancy is going to be pretty damn short...
            (Mind you, we could've said that about the old "eastern bloc" countries in the "cold war" days...)

Comment

you've got to feel for this lad, he's trained hard and got himself into great condition only to be carrying an extra 3lb.
              Surely Team GB should have know what weight he needed to be at the start .

Comment

Originally posted by FiveTimes View Post
                you've got to feel for this lad, he's trained hard and got himself into great condition only to be carrying an extra 3lb.
                Surely Team GB should have know what weight he needed to be at the start .
                There should be a "Boxer Rebellion"... Oh, I think they've had one...

Comment

Has it not finished yet?
                  Blood in your poo

Comment

Originally posted by Churchill View Post
                    There should be a "Boxer Rebellion"... Oh, I think they've had one...

Is Paula Radcliffe in it again? No doubt she'll stop half way, have a crap, have a cry and then make lots of excuses.
                    Will work inside IR35. Or for food.

Comment

Working...
                    X