• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

expat tax

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

expat tax

Once qualified as non resident and abiding by the sub 90 day rule...is any money brought back to the UK subject to tax??? (earnings) getting conflicting advice... Thanks gwen

Originally posted by gwen View Post
    Once qualified as non resident and abiding by the sub 90 day rule...is any money brought back to the UK subject to tax??? (earnings) getting conflicting advice... Thanks gwen
    Wales is in the UK!

Comment

What do you mean "money brought back to the UK"? How long have you been out of the UK? I think some details are required here!
      Down with racism. Long live miscegenation!

Comment

Originally posted by gwen View Post
        We need more details.
        It all depends on whether the money has been taxed in the first place.
        Let me explain.
        A number of contractors who work in Europe take advantage of a scheme where a local salary is paid in the country where they work. The rest is paid into a pension scheme which is usualy off shore of the country where they are working. They pay tax on the local salary only. The "pension fund" is not taxed localy.
        Legaly the contractor should pay tax on the "pension fund" in the country where they bring the money back onshore. Some become resident in tax havens for this purpose.
        Repatriating this money to the UK would require a declaration to Hector as income.

If you are transferring the contents of your bank account which has already been taxed locally (even if it is a tax free country) then there is no tax to pay.

There are one or two issues with reciprocal tax agreements.

I am not qualified to give this advice.

You should ask an accountant who deals with this kind of thing regularly. JSA International may be able to help but they may charge for the advice.
        Last edited by The Lone Gunman; 9 June 2008, 08:34.
        I am not qualified to give the above advice!

The original point and click interface by
        Smith and Wesson.

Step back, have a think and adjust my own own attitude from time to time

Comment

Working...
        X