• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Birthday / wedding collections

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Birthday / wedding collections

A permie a my current gig got married on Saturday. They had a whip round and I bunged some money in.

Since this bloke sits opposite me and has always been friendly and helpful, I did the same as I do for family birthday cards and bunged in £20 and thought no more of it. About 25 people had signed the card that went with the collection.

Yesterday the email went round to everyone:

"Blah, blah, collected £45 and special thanks to RichardCranium for his especially generous contribution."

That was sent by the ex-bachelor's line manager (who wasn't even there when I put the money in).

Is it me, or is there something weird about all this?

That'll be the last time I put anything into any collection at this gig. (They didn't even give me a receipt, dammit.)
    My all-time favourite Dilbert cartoon, this is: BTW, a Dumpster is a brand of skip, I think.

You'll just have to hope that this does not get brought out as evidence of you being "part and parcel of the organisation" at your IR35 enquiry.

Comment

that means 1 of 2 things:
      (1) you flashed your £20 around instead of slipping it in on the quiet, like in Matthew 6.1-4. Well, just make sure you've learned your lesson.

(2) or you did slip it in on the quiet like in Matthew 6.1-4, but everybody else went behind your back, did some maths, and worked out your bit. Unfortunately the evangelist doesn't provide much advice for this situation.

But yes it is weird.

Comment

A few years ago I was the sole contractor in a room full of permies when the receptionists came around collecting for Children in Need. I didn't have anything smaller than a twenty, and I figured that rooting around in their bucket for change would just get people muttering about tightwad contractors

Bloody children. If they're in need, why don't they get a paper round or something?

Comment

I'd give a quid tops.

Last gig I had was at a site that was closing. There were at least 3 leaving collections a week. I perfected the art of making coppers sound like a nice handful of dosh.

Comment

Working...
          X