• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

News article on Poverty

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

News article on Poverty

The news had an article about poverty last night. Jesus it made I mad!

Poverty is defined (EU def I think) as < 60% median household income i.e. < 18k per year, now while around 18k is low, it's not poverty.
    Anyway, the article stated 25% of UK households are in poverty, but in their example (Hull) it was 55%. They went to this scumbag estate, and while there were some decent working people, most were on benefits. One couple, were on £250 a week for themselves and their 5 children, complaining about lack of money, however they didn't consider themsleves poor. I know people who have kids and have little more than that after tax for working a 40 hr week!

Moreover, after tax minimum wage earnings will be less than <£200 per week. Most of these scumbags would be lucky to get a minimum wage job. Benefits should never pay more than minimum wages!

No wonder they can't get off benefits. One guy interviewed complained "it just wasn't worth getting a job". No the Poles can do that! While the lazy and increasingly obese local population can sit eating KFC and 'raise' knife wielding hoodies. The local teacher interviewed " the role models for the children don't work, they don't have any relatives who have worked, they think stealing motorbikes and cars is normal"

It's not just s-holes like Hull where this is going on, all over the country these places exist to some extent or another. Wasters should not be allowed to 'earn' more than a working person, the tax and benefits system needs a serious rethink.
    Last edited by Bagpuss; 10 June 2008, 08:54.
    The court heard Darren Upton had written a letter to Judge Sally Cahill QC saying he wasn’t “a typical inmate of prison”.

But the judge said: “That simply demonstrates your arrogance continues. You are typical. Inmates of prison are people who are dishonest. You are a thoroughly dishonestly man motivated by your own selfish greed.”

Originally posted by Bagpuss View Post
    The local teacher interviewed " the role models for the children don't work, they don't have any relatives who have worked, they think stealing motorbikes and cars is normal"
    That is the real legacy of Thatcherism, it's bred a generation of people who no longer think it's a stigma to not work. When old industry closed and left fathers long-term unemployed, the kids of those families learned to respect the father's who milked the system.
    Cooking doesn't get tougher than this.

Comment

Originally posted by TheBigYinJames View Post
      That is the real legacy of Thatcherism, it's bred a generation of people who no longer think it's a stigma to not work. When old industry closed and left fathers long-term unemployed, the kids of those families learned to respect the father's who milked the system.
      I knew somehow it was Thatcher's fault.

Comment

Originally posted by DimPrawn View Post
        I knew somehow it was Thatcher's fault.
        Well either her or Ben Elton.

Comment

Poverty stricken

I know a lot of Contractors on less than £18K salary too.

Comment

I agree with your rant. People seem to be able to play the system for maximum gain while others that i know who really need the support get nowt. Carers in particular get a really hard time with practically no support. In Glasgow they now say there are young people who have never had anyone in their families work from the grandparents down to the young kids. its a total sub-culture where it seems the norm.

Comment

Originally posted by Meerkat View Post
              In Glasgow they now say there are young people who have never had anyone in their families work from the grandparents down to the young kids. its a total sub-culture where it seems the norm.
              It's a shame as well, Glasgow, like most other working class cities, used to have a real work ethic culture, where it was seen as morally reprehensible to avoid doing your bit. As I said before, it's a generational thing. Human beings respect the attitudes of their parents, more or less. The work ethic was part of this. As soon as you get one or two generations who don't work, this is then seen as a respectable way to live.

I have no idea how to 'fix' this, because once you raise expectations you will get civil unrest of you then try to take it away. One of my friends has a theory, which is way too radical to ever be implemented. Everybody, man woman and child, in the country, gets a benefit of a fixed amount per week, say £60 - since it's not means tested, you lose all the costly state apparatus for dispensing it. This replaces all the income supports and dole money, and all tax breaks. Those who want to skive can do so. Those who want to work a little to supplement it, can do so. Those who want to earn a lot can work hard, and still get the benefit of the safety net.

Comment

Originally posted by TheBigYinJames View Post
                One of my friends has a theory, which is way too radical to ever be implemented. Everybody, man woman and child, in the country, gets a benefit of a fixed amount per week, say £60 - since it's not means tested, you lose all the costly state apparatus for dispensing it. This replaces all the income supports and dole money, and all tax breaks. Those who want to skive can do so. Those who want to work a little to supplement it, can do so. Those who want to earn a lot can work hard, and still get the benefit of the safety net.
                But that's not fair!

Comment

The guy who annoyed me in the same articel was the Vicker who said that having kids was a valuable contribution to society even if you couldnt afford to feed them.

Comment

Originally posted by tay View Post
                    The guy who annoyed me in the same articel was the Vicker who said that having kids was a valuable contribution to society even if you couldnt afford to feed them.
                    Vicar - Shirley?

You may be a Scot dear boy, but surely you're an educated one?

Comment

Working...
                    X