• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Is this Government in favour of Slavery?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Is this Government in favour of Slavery?

Picked up on this issue on the Oxfam website. It would appear the government are planning to bring in changes which will make it impossible for migrant domestic workers who are brought to the country by their "employers" to seek help or to leave when they suffer abuse. In my view this amounts to slavery, supported by our wonderful government.

Domestic workers...come to the UK with their rich employers, from countries such as India, Sri Lanka, or the Philippines. The majority of the workers are women. Most are exploited and badly treated by their employers; many are sexually and physically abused.

At the moment these workers come to the UK under a domestic worker visa. This gives them legal status as workers: they are protected by UK employment laws, and can leave an abusive employer and get another job in a private household if they need to.

The government is planning to abolish the domestic worker visa, and instead register migrant domestic workers as ‘visitors’. No longer workers, they will effectively be bonded labourers, many forced to work in conditions akin to slavery. Leaving an abusive situation to find another job will no longer be an option.

All governments are in favour of slavery, high house prices and lots of shiny things on the high street make people want to earn money so the government get their taxes.

Its a conspiracy I tell you.

This is the first post that I’ve been paid to type in 4 months.
    Science isn't about why, it's about why not. You ask: why is so much of our science dangerous? I say: why not marry safe science if you love it so much. In fact, why not invent a special safety door that won't hit you in the butt on the way out, because you are fired. - Cave Johnson

Comment

Originally posted by Moose423956 View Post
      Picked up on this issue on the Oxfam website. It would appear the government are planning to bring in changes which will make it impossible for migrant domestic workers who are brought to the country by their "employers" to seek help or to leave when they suffer abuse. In my view this amounts to slavery, supported by our wonderful government.
      Dunno about most of that, but I'm pretty certain they still have legal protection if they 'suffer abuse'. When you say help I'm not really sure what you mean ...
      Hang on - there is actually a place called Cheddar?? - cailin maith

Any forum is a collection of assorted weirdos, cranks and pervs - Board Game Geek

That will be a simply fab time to catch up for a beer. - Tay

Have you ever seen somebody lick the chutney spoon in an Indian Restaurant and put it back ? - Cyberghoul

Comment

Originally posted by gingerjedi View Post
        Consider it a miracle if you had a workstation/desk/network access etc in the first week.

Comment

I hope you are working for our wonderful government?
          +50 Xeno Geek Points
          Come back Toolpusher, scotspine, Voodooflux. Pogle
          As for the rest of you - DILLIGAF

Purveyor of fine quality smut since 2005

CUK Olympic University Challenge Champions 2010/2012

Comment

Originally posted by snaw View Post
            Dunno about most of that, but I'm pretty certain they still have legal protection if they 'suffer abuse'. When you say help I'm not really sure what you mean ...
            I think this explains it:

Under the proposals migrant domestic workers (MDWs) would lose the right to change employers. This would vastly increase the power of abusive employers and the incidence of forced labour in the UK. If MDWs suffer abuse or exploitation they will have the stark choice between continuing to suffer or fleeing and becoming undocumented. Their insecure immigration status will effectively prevent them from accessing justice through the police or basic employment law protections.

Comment

Originally posted by Zippy View Post
              I hope you are working for our wonderful government?
              Not this time... should improve my cv no end! The rate is crap though.
              Science isn't about why, it's about why not. You ask: why is so much of our science dangerous? I say: why not marry safe science if you love it so much. In fact, why not invent a special safety door that won't hit you in the butt on the way out, because you are fired. - Cave Johnson

Comment

Not this time... should improve my cv no end! The rate is crap though.
                Bide your time, things will get better. You're better off than those poor sods - at least you can run if you get a better offer ....
                +50 Xeno Geek Points
                Come back Toolpusher, scotspine, Voodooflux. Pogle
                As for the rest of you - DILLIGAF

Purveyor of fine quality smut since 2005

CUK Olympic University Challenge Champions 2010/2012

Comment

Working...
                X