• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

How does this sound?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How does this sound?

I am paying my ex wife maintenance of £x \ month. My gf is Comp Secretary but is not being paid as it would put her in higher tax bracket.

I plan to sack my gf as Comp Secretary and make my ex wife Comp Secretary, then pay her the equivalent of the maintenance I would normally pay her but obviously from company account.

This means I reduce my tax burden, save cash from personal account but achieve the same end.

Am I ok from a legal perspective?
    "If you can read this, thank a teacher....and since it's in English, thank a soldier"

Originally posted by daviejones View Post
    Am I ok from a legal perspective?
    I doubt it.

Will ex-wife be doing any actual work? Is the amount you pay her roughly equal to the salary for a small-co cosec (approx £1000 PA)?
    ‎"See, you think I give a tulip. Wrong. In fact, while you talk, I'm thinking; How can I give less of a tulip? That's why I look interested."

Comment

Depends how much the maint is. What is the divorce settlement.

If its seen as "wages" then it may not satisfy the maint settlement and she could ask for it again?

Comment

I concur. Maintenance is tax free and income is not (assuming the threshold is reached)...
        Older and ...well, just older!!

Comment

Originally posted by Sockpuppet View Post
          Depends how much the maint is. What is the divorce settlement.

If its seen as "wages" then it may not satisfy the maint settlement and she could ask for it again?
          WHS

plus she may shop you to HMRC...

Comment

Co Sec

You must be out of your mind!
            Not only it's not on, do you know what you are letting yourself in? As a Co Sec, she'd have to check before signing your company accounts and is entitled to access other stuff as well.
            Not on your nelly!

Comment

One thing to factor in is how much do you trust your ex Mrs. I know somebody who paid his ex in cash to then let her claim various stuff from the generous state. She shopped him for not paying for years, he had no way of proving he had paid and got an astronomical bill form the CSA. It was quite a calculating nasty move from the ex as the kid was just about to hit 18 and the payments about to stop.

Comment

When I looked into this initially, my Accountant said I could pay my Co Sec min wage. She will be doing things like filing etc, doing my expenses and paperwork etc.

Does anyone here pay their Co Sec? What do you pay them?

I trust my ex wife, more than my gf (soon to be ex gf)...

As long as she got the same amount, she does not care where it comes from etc.
                "If you can read this, thank a teacher....and since it's in English, thank a soldier"

Comment

Does anyone here pay their Co Sec? What do you pay them?
                  My wife is the company sec, but I don't pay her.

Comment

I trust my ex wife, more than my gf (soon to be ex gf)...

As long as she got the same amount, she does not care where it comes from etc.
                    never enjoyed binnings !

You trust her now, the bloke I know did but then she got hooked up with another bloke and things went downhill fast.

Comment

Working...
                    X