• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Security Clearance Question

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Security Clearance Question

I have been put forward for a very good role which would result in Security Clearance, therefore I have a question regarding Criminal Convictions. Is an arrest for a Public Order Offence a criminal conviction even though it only resulted in a fix penalty ticket and no charge. Does anybody know if this would affect SC?

Originally posted by Solent View Post
    I have been put forward for a very good role which would result in Security Clearance, therefore I have a question regarding Criminal Convictions. Is an arrest for a Public Order Offence a criminal conviction even though it only resulted in a fix penalty ticket and no charge. Does anybody know if this would affect SC?
    If you were fined, then you were charged, surely? If there was no charge, there would be no conviction, and no penalty to pay (but I'm no legal expert)

Depends how long ago it is, but you MUST disclose it, because if they find it (and they probably will) and you haven't told them, you will not get SC this time or any other.

The purpose of SC is not so much to make sure you are absolutely squeaky clean, but to make sure you haven't done anything or are doing anything you can be blackmailed about while in your role.

My advice is to be completely candid with them.
    Cooking doesn't get tougher than this.

Comment

The conviction won't (they'll know all about that anyway, when they do the checks). Not telling them definitely would. Simply be honest - the form is written so that you can admit to all kinds of nefarious doings without the world knowing about them.

The overriding test is "Can this guy be blackmailed or coerced". If you're honest about your past, the answer is "No".
      Blog? What blog...?

Comment

I had every intention on being honest from the outset, but appreciate the advice. I though a conviction was only if you were charged by a court etc but have to see how it goes, thanks again, teach me to loose my temper

Comment

I had every intention on being honest from the outset, but appreciate the advice. I though a conviction was only if you were charged by a court etc but have to see how it goes, thanks again, teach me to loose my temper
          On who/what did you let your temper loose?

Comment

Originally posted by oracleslave View Post
            On who/what did you let your temper loose?

Wasn't an agent was it? And is this attack on YouTube anywhere? I have money, i can pay?
            Cooking doesn't get tougher than this.

Comment

Funny story, I had an argument in a Pub with a barman over poor service and it resulted in a huge argument where various things were said by both of us after the pub had shut I should say. He then subsequently reported me to the police and I had to go down to the local nick at a time convenient with myself to be arrested under the public order act. As it was not racial / sexual and 50/50 it was dropped from a Section 4a of the public order act to just a penalty ticket of £80 or £60 I think. I was informed that I could also raise a complaint against him but I thought why bother !!!

Comment

Working...
              X