• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Reasons for Failing to get SC Cleared

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Reasons for Failing to get SC Cleared

Hi all,

I posted something similar the other day but the thread just turned into a showcase for other member's amazing wit. So, I'm gonna try and keep it simple.

Imagine if you have a clean crim record other than a caution at age 13 in the mid 80's. I declared the caution on the form and speeding points + seatbelt spot check. Sorry to ask the same question again but it's been 4 weeks now and the DSU are in no rush to tell me why?

What other reasons could there be for failing to get SC cleared?

I'm going insane!

Mike

Thought some of the answers in the previous thread were fair enough. May not be you that has the problem. Could be a close relative with dodgy dealings that you are unaware of.
    my ferret is your ferret

Comment

Sometimes they fail people just because they can.

There are many reasons, but most usually it is because they feel you can be blackmailed for something. i.e. if you're gay and not out of the closet, have extra marital affairs, all sorts of things like that, you have to declare them. Don't fuss it, they've heard worse, believe me.
      Insanity: repeating the same actions, but expecting different results.
      threadeds website, and here's my blog.

Comment

Originally posted by mikeyboy1970 View Post
        Hi all,

I posted something similar the other day but the thread just turned into a showcase for other member's amazing wit. So, I'm gonna try and keep it simple.

Imagine if you have a clean crim record other than a caution at age 13 in the mid 80's. I declared the caution on the form and speeding points + seatbelt spot check. Sorry to ask the same question again but it's been 4 weeks now and the DSU are in no rush to tell me why?

What other reasons could there be for failing to get SC cleared?

I'm going insane!

Mike
        It can take up to six months to get SC. Don't worry it takes four weeks to open the envelope!
        Cats are evil.

Comment

Originally posted by threaded View Post
          believe me.
          Yeah, like that's ever gonna happen!

Comment

One example - an ex-colleague waited months and months for SC. It was never refused, just not passed. Eventually he discovered his ex-wife had a major outstanding debt on one of his old credit cards. He cleared that up (by getting it transferred to one of her CCs actually, so he didn't even pay it off) and his SC came through a week later.

Average turnround time for SC for a contractor is around 3 months. You have two to go, so stop worrying.
            Blog? What blog...?

Comment

The problem is not waiting for SC to come through. Less than 2 weeks after the clearance process started, the agency told me I'd failed. I have written letters to the DSU to find out why and still no answer.

Can they just do this? Surely they should have to tell u why you've failed in case of ID fraud or admin error. For example, the form that asked about crim record / speeding points etc asked you to continue on a separate sheet which I did. How do I know if that separate sheet didn't end up in some overpaid and underworked civil servants bin and it looks like I failed to be honest about my record.

With the most recent security blunders in the govt, they hardly epitomise efficiencey and competence.

This thread has probably ruined any government contract / permie job ever again in m y life. U gotta laff

Comment

Can't you use the Freedom of Information act to find the reason?

(Probably a silly question, I know )

Comment

Have you considered asking them?
                  I have googled the web site and linked to their "How to contact us" page.

http://www.mod.uk/DefenceInternet/Ab...tTheAgency.htm
                  I am not qualified to give the above advice!

The original point and click interface by
                  Smith and Wesson.

Step back, have a think and adjust my own own attitude from time to time

Comment

They won't tell you. For one thing, it's classified information and by definition you are not cleared to see it . For another, it may give away just how much they do know and what their sources are like. They might want to leave you alone in the hope of trapping some more important people. And finally, although not that likely, it might be becuase they don't want you to tip the rest of the cell that they've been rumbled.
                    Blog? What blog...?

Comment

Working...
                    X