• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Anyone got .NET contract with no experience?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Anyone got .NET contract with no experience?

Reason I ask is that I have been considering a permie role which promises to train in .NET.

This goes against all my instincts and I wonder if I might be better served by practise, practise, practise, read all the stuff out there, code loads of apps and generally get a bit good under my own steam, even if it means weeks off and a few short term beer-money contracts.

I reckon financially there wouldn't be much difference between that and the permie pay cut. Plus, who's to say that they will keep to their word and actually provide the training?

So, has anyone got into .NET solely by contracting?

Originally posted by Shimano105
    Reason I ask is that I have been considering a permie role which promises to train in .NET.

This goes against all my instincts and I wonder if I might be better served by practise, practise, practise, read all the stuff out there, code loads of apps and generally get a bit good under my own steam, even if it means weeks off and a few short term beer-money contracts.

I reckon financially there wouldn't be much difference between that and the permie pay cut. Plus, who's to say that they will keep to their word and actually provide the training?

So, has anyone got into .NET solely by contracting?
    Buy a book, add beer, doctor CV -> Instant Expert!

Comment

Kinda what I was thinking Spodly, but keep 'doctoring' to a bluffable minimum.

Desperate measures but hey...

Comment

Originally posted by Shimano105
        Kinda what I was thinking Spodly, but keep 'doctoring' to a bluffable minimum.

Desperate measures but hey...
        It didn't do Threaded any harm...

2 Lambo's and all the diplomat wives he can handle, what more could a man ask for?

Comment

Might be best to take the permie role for now

As someone who is a .Net contractor and who frequently hires other .Net contractors, I would suggest you might be better off taking the permie role.

There are loads of .Net blaggers around, tons of them. And as hirers, we know they're out there (we see them every round of interviews) and we know how to spot them. Every interview I go to now, or do myself, has a lot of very technical questions to sort the wheat from the chaff.

Secondly, .Net is now 4 years old, and there are plenty of us around who have been using it since then. You might be able to bluff it on a CV, but if you get through to interview you can guarantee you are going against a couple of 4 year-ers and the rest 2-3 years.

Comment

Don't listen to him, FFS, it's only .NET, how difficult can it be?

Comment

I agree - sounds like a stiff-@rsed permie to me.

No one is talking about turning up clueless, just get as much experience developing in the stuff as poss without the actual 'I sat at my desk and pretended to code for 4 years' line.

Christ I bet I know more than that plonker already

Comment

4 years

Took me an afternoon to learn .NET

I'm alright Jack

Comment

You won't get into .NET

It's impossible. No one can do it. Too hard you see.

Try Java instead. That's for right plonkers.

Comment

.NET in an afternoon? You must be a speed reader. Took me 24Hrs....

C# in 24Hrs

Comment

Working...
                    X