• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Top Cities to live in

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Top Cities to live in

Funnily enough London is top UK at 38 quality of life, and Glasgow (Yes Glasgow) is top (And 43 on list) for personal safety.

http://www.mercer.com/referenceconte...7990#Top50_qol

hmm ...
    Hang on - there is actually a place called Cheddar?? - cailin maith

Any forum is a collection of assorted weirdos, cranks and pervs - Board Game Geek

That will be a simply fab time to catch up for a beer. - Tay

Have you ever seen somebody lick the chutney spoon in an Indian Restaurant and put it back ? - Cyberghoul

New York safer than Baghdad? They've gotta be kidding.
    Insanity: repeating the same actions, but expecting different results.
    threadeds website, and here's my blog.

Comment

Originally posted by threaded View Post
      New York safer than Baghdad? They've gotta be kidding.
      It's not 1985 anymore - New York has been quite safe for a while now...
      ‎"See, you think I give a tulip. Wrong. In fact, while you talk, I'm thinking; How can I give less of a tulip? That's why I look interested."

Comment

These rankings are a joke. And NZ ranks quite highly so it is not sour grapes.

Crime is impossible to measure accurately.. in the UK if you get kidnapped, beaten, and your car stolen in one 'event'... that counts as 1 crime on official crime figures, in NZ it counts as 3 seperate crimes.

Comment

Originally posted by snaw View Post
          Funnily enough London is top UK at 38 quality of life, and Glasgow (Yes Glasgow) is top (And 43 on list) for personal safety.

http://www.mercer.com/referenceconte...7990#Top50_qol

hmm ...

I grew up in Glasgow and I have to say I've felt much more scared in Hull, Leeds, Manchester and London. In towns with a reputation for casual violence, it tends to make people a bit more polite to each other, because you don't know what kind of lunatic you are dealing with.

I've broken down in cars in most places in the UK, Europe and the USA, and only in Glasgow did a bunch of guys jump out of a car and help me push the car up the road.
          Cooking doesn't get tougher than this.

Comment

Originally posted by Moscow Mule View Post
            Safest city I have ever lived in, by a country mile. In fact some of the locals miss the old days, cause they felt it was more edgy. Sure if you go to the south bronx it's not so nice, but who'd want to go there anyway ...

Any forum is a collection of assorted weirdos, cranks and pervs - Board Game Geek

Have you ever seen somebody lick the chutney spoon in an Indian Restaurant and put it back ? - Cyberghoul

Comment

Originally posted by Moscow Mule View Post
              Some parts of it. Times Sq was cleaned up some time ago, and is more like a theme park now than the way it used to be (they moved all the XXX shops and tramps and beggars a couple of blocks west)

I have a tendency of dragging my wife and kids through the most unsavoury parts of New York. I was down at the Bowery with them going to visit CBGBs before it shut (the guy let up up on stage - one of my best memories)

Last year we went for a walk through Hell's Kitchen, and on the way back, my 6 year old said "why are those two black men arguing?" and sure enough, there was two homies arguing vehemently over a briefcase, just like a scene from Starsky & Hutch. I just said "eyes straight ahead" and off we went at some speed.

Never had any problems anywhere in New York, places like Harlem are very safe these days. But then, I'm not a typical "target" being a 6 foot bulky Scotsman with angry eyebrows.

Comment

Originally posted by TheBigYinJames View Post
                I've broken down in cars in most places in the UK, Europe and the USA
                Even pavlov's dog would have bought a better car by now shirley?

Comment

Originally posted by TheBigYinJames View Post
                  I grew up in Glasgow and I have to say I've felt much more scared in Hull, Leeds, Manchester and London. In towns with a reputation for casual violence, it tends to make people a bit more polite to each other, because you don't know what kind of lunatic you are dealing with.

I've broken down in cars in most places in the UK, Europe and the USA, and only in Glasgow did a bunch of guys jump out of a car and help me push the car up the road.
                  I'm from Ayrshire and went to Uni in Glasgow, as well as go back regularly, and as much as I love the city I've no illusions about the levels of violence there. Might not see so much casual violenecesince you don't know who's chibbed up, but I've seen some very scary stuff there - including numerous stabbings/slashins, one shooting and my best mate ending up in hospital after being stabbed 27 times for looking at some phscyos burd in a club wrong ... the same guy got mugged in a club and woke up in hospital a few days later - he'd been smacked over the back of the head with a bottle in thte toilet and his wallet knicked.

Funny and friendly, yeah, safe no.

Comment

Originally posted by snaw View Post
                    Funny and friendly, yeah, safe no.
                    i suppose it depends what you are doing there. If you're 19 years old, and clubbing at 1am on a Friday night, then no it's not safe. But then, where is?

Comment

Working...
                    X