• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Future of offshoring

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Future of offshoring

Has offshoring in IT peaked?

i.e. have all the companies that can offshore done so or does this trend still have more to play out and if so, for how long?

Originally posted by Clippy View Post
    Has offshoring in IT peaked?

i.e. have all the companies that can offshore done so or does this trend still have more to play out and if so, for how long?
    I really really hope so. But ClientCo offshoring more and more - despite the existing offshore mob stuffing everything up! muppets! I wish I knew why...

Comment

Originally posted by BrilloPad View Post
      muppets! I wish I knew why...
      1. Goes down well with share-holders. Cutting costs don't you know.
      2. Gives you someone to blame.

HTH
      Hard Brexit now!
      #prayfornodeal

Comment

Originally posted by sasguru View Post

HTH
        So basically short-termism?

But will the trend ever reverse or is it impossible to predict?

Whenever I have to deal with the offshore movb I am rude and abusive. Well I am usually rude and abusive. I mean particularly.

Comment

Agree with that BP. It's very hard not to get rude and offensive with the offshore lot, particularly the sub-continental kind.

Comment

HTH
            But at some point, there will be no more cost savings to be had, right?

Then what?

Comment

Then what?
              Move it somewhere else ...

India -> Malaysia -> China -> Swansea

Comment

Then what?
                Once salaries in India have been driven up sufficiently to make them uncompetetive, there will be a new round of offshoring from India to China / Vietnam / anywhere else cheap.
                ǝןqqıʍ

Comment

You've hit the nail on the head, the big outsourcing/offshoring jobs I've worked on were all knee jerk reactions by boards under pressure after tulip results. They announce a big outsourcing deal, juggle some figures and set the PR machine in action and then pay themselves a big bonus for doing a good job and saving a fortune. A few years down the track, IT is a big mess, the Co is well out of pocket but who gives a tulip as the genius CEO has long since moved on with bonus in pocket. The new board can then blame the outsourcers and move onto another useless bunch of outsourcers and pretend all is well for a few years.

Comment

Originally posted by rootsnall View Post
                    You've hit the nail on the head, the big outsourcing/offshoring jobs I've worked on were all knee jerk reactions by boards under pressure after tulip results. They announce a big outsourcing deal, juggle some figures and set the PR machine in action and then pay themselves a big bonus for doing a good job and saving a fortune. A few years down the track, IT is a big mess, the Co is well out of pocket but who gives a tulip as the genius CEO has long since moved on with bonus in pocket. The new board can then blame the outsourcers and move onto another useless bunch of outsourcers and pretend all is well for a few years.
                    Yep, this is pretty much my experience too.

Comment

Working...
                    X