• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

How offensive is the word 'pikey'?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How offensive is the word 'pikey'?

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/magazine/7446274.stm

IMO if the BBC use it - can it be offensive?

I have no objections to it...it is the pikeys I fookin object to...
    "If you can read this, thank a teacher....and since it's in English, thank a soldier"

Comment

Originally posted by BrilloPad View Post

I've replaced it with "do as you likey" - conveys what I mean more eloquently than "Pikey"
      ‎"See, you think I give a tulip. Wrong. In fact, while you talk, I'm thinking; How can I give less of a tulip? That's why I look interested."

Comment

Why not use Gypo, Pikey sounds more gay
        The court heard Darren Upton had written a letter to Judge Sally Cahill QC saying he wasn’t “a typical inmate of prison”.

But the judge said: “That simply demonstrates your arrogance continues. You are typical. Inmates of prison are people who are dishonest. You are a thoroughly dishonestly man motivated by your own selfish greed.”

Comment

Gypo, pikey...... same horse, different jockey
          Bazza gets caught
          Socrates - "The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing."

CUK University Challenge Champions 2010

Comment

Gypo has a nicer ring to it

Oi Gypo spin it, works better on the Waltzers
            The court heard Darren Upton had written a letter to Judge Sally Cahill QC saying he wasn’t “a typical inmate of prison”.

But the judge said: “That simply demonstrates your arrogance continues. You are typical. Inmates of prison are people who are dishonest. You are a thoroughly dishonestly man motivated by your own selfish greed.”

Comment

I used the word 'gyppo' once at a client site and it was suggested to me I should not use this phrase.

"Of course" I replied, "it should be thieving gyppo".

Some debate ensued over this, but in the end the majority seemed to agree with me.
              Cats are evil.

Comment

Originally posted by BrilloPad View Post

How offensive is the BBC using our TV license money wasting time writing such an article?
                "Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience". Mark Twain

Comment

Originally posted by scooterscot View Post
                  How offensive is the BBC using our TV license money wasting time writing such an article?
                  7 complaints!

7 Bastard complaints!

How many complaints about that most offensive of all creatures, Gordon Brown do we need to make?

Comment

Originally posted by Churchill View Post
                    How many complaints about that most offensive of all creatures, Gordon Brown do we need to make?
                    What do you think this is, a democracy?
                    "Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience". Mark Twain

Comment

Working...
                    X