• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Yorkshire - places to stay

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Yorkshire - places to stay

I've got a week or so before my next contract starts and am considering going ooop norf to yorkshire. Any recomendations on nice places to stay?

Originally posted by ~Craig~ View Post
    I've got a week or so before my next contract starts and am considering going ooop norf to yorkshire. Any recomendations on nice places to stay?
    We had a North trip planned for July (cancelled due to extension) but we were going to do Beamish (not exactly Yorks, but not too far), and see James Herriot's house in Thirsk, Whitby for the Dracula stuff, the moors generally, Bridlington the only (IMHO) still charming victorian seaside town left in England, Flamborough Head. York itself is good, do one of their ghost tours, and a river trip.
    Cooking doesn't get tougher than this.

Comment

Originally posted by ~Craig~ View Post
      Yep.

Lancashire.
      My all-time favourite Dilbert cartoon, this is: BTW, a Dumpster is a brand of skip, I think.

Comment

thanks for the info. I've been looking at staying in Ripon as a central base.

Comment

How about that waterfall they filmed around in "Robin Hood Prince of Thieves", or is that further north in Northumbria?

Comment

Knaresborough
            Skipton

or further away over the moors

Whitby
            Robin Hoods Bay
            Listen to my last album on Spotify

Comment

Originally posted by Cowboy Bob View Post
              Knaresborough
              Skipton

or further away over the moors

Whitby
              Robin Hoods Bay
              Aha! Marina, I think that may answer your question about where they filmed "Robin Hood Prince of Thieves" (although I don't remember any of it being set by the sea).
              Work in the public sector? Read the IR35 FAQ here

Comment

Originally posted by TheBigYinJames View Post
                We had a North trip planned for July (cancelled due to extension) but we were going to do Beamish (not exactly Yorks, but not too far), and see James Herriot's house in Thirsk, Whitby for the Dracula stuff, the moors generally, Bridlington the only (IMHO) still charming victorian seaside town left in England, Flamborough Head. York itself is good, do one of their ghost tours, and a river trip.
                Beamish is excellent - or it was 10 years ago when I went last - steam powered hammers, anvils and presses also the Industrial Museum in Bradford is very good too if you like all that industrial stuff.

Whitby is nice and spooky, close to york which is nice. Nice chip and fish and mushy peas

Comment

Originally posted by OwlHoot View Post
                  Aha! Marina, I think that may answer your question about where they filmed "Robin Hood Prince of Thieves" (although I don't remember any of it being set by the sea).
                  They didn't film "Robin Hood Prince of Thieves" at "Robin Hood's Bay" FFS!

Anyway, Robin Hood's Bay is a damn site more "charming" than Whitby!

Comment

This is the part where I have to confess, that although I've been dahn sarf for years, I am infact a Yorkshireman.

So here's what I'd do if I was up there for a week:

Starting near the top, go and visit York. The Minster's worth seeing if you haven't been before, and there's tons of other tourist attractions there. You could see the National Railway Museum, the Yorvik Viking Centre, the Shambles...

Spend a couple of days in Leeds, go shopping, go drinking, visit the Royal Armouries and stay at the Malmaison Hotel. (Also if you're a fan and there's a match on you could go to Headingley and spend a few hours watching Darren Gough's mighty Yorkshire army )

You could also do a couple of days in the Peak District. Castleton's very pretty and there are various caverns , some of which offer guided tours. There are also lots of walks you could do. You're also very close to Sheffield, so you could go and visit there if you're so inclined. I'd recommend the Kashmir Curry Centre on Spital Hill, but you wouldn't want to leave an expensive car outside! There's also Meadowhall if you want to do some more shopping.

I'd finish the week by going to Doncaster to visit my Dad, but you probably won't want to do that

HTH
                    ǝןqqıʍ

Comment

Working...
                    X