• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Windows Vista nightmare

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Windows Vista nightmare

Hi
    I bought a nice new laptop a couple of months ago and they had Windows Vista Home on it.
    Shortly after, internet explorer 7 just stopped working with any flash website or youtube. I had to download firefox which works ok for most things but not for the JSA net website where I do my accounts on, sadly. (I recommend JSA, by the way).

Then I started to have problems with Windows Media Player, it just doens't load up anymore. I kept on downloading the updates hoping that one of them would undo the problem but sadly not.

I've scanned various message boards and find many others are having similar problems with different solutions working for different people. Sadly none so far work for me.

I've ran all the virus scans, anti-sypware, registry cleaners and all seems fine.

Think it's because Vista is cr*p. Wish I had XP still.

I have to say, I am surprised.. I have been running Vista since January 2007 (on 2 machines, first 32bit and now 64bit) and not a single issue like this has ever arisen..
    The "Fit" hits the "Shan"

Comment

Originally posted by zeitghost
      It's lulling you into a false sense of security.

Trust me on that.
      Security is NOT a feature of Vista...
      "If you can read this, thank a teacher....and since it's in English, thank a soldier"

Comment

I have to say, I am surprised.. I have used JSA in the past and they were crap!

Comment

get a mac
          "Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience". Mark Twain

Comment

Originally posted by Churchill View Post
            I have to say, I am surprised.. I have used JSA in the past and they were crap!

Comment

Did somebody come in and steal half your ram? Need 2 gig min really to run Vista

Comment

Vista really doesn't give me anything that XP currently can't except perhaps a much slower PC. I have it on a number of computers but hardly ever touch it. It's not like I don't adopt new ideas though, but just like the Spinning Jenny or the Seed Drill, I'll wait to see how things go before I get shut of XP.
                Rule Number 1 - Assuming that you have a valid contract in place always try to get your poo onto your timesheet, provided that the timesheet is valid for your current contract and covers the period of time that you are billing for.

I preferred version 1!

Comment

Originally posted by contractor79 View Post
                  Hi
                  I bought a nice new laptop a couple of months ago and they had Windows Vista Home on it.
                  Shortly after, internet explorer 7 just stopped working with any flash website or youtube. I had to download firefox which works ok for most things but not for the JSA net website where I do my accounts on, sadly. (I recommend JSA, by the way).

Then I started to have problems with Windows Media Player, it just doens't load up anymore. I kept on downloading the updates hoping that one of them would undo the problem but sadly not.

I've scanned various message boards and find many others are having similar problems with different solutions working for different people. Sadly none so far work for me.

I've ran all the virus scans, anti-sypware, registry cleaners and all seems fine.

Think it's because Vista is cr*p. Wish I had XP still.
                  There are loads of settings in Vista that seem to default back and block programmes. I am not a desktop guy but if you install “logmein” on your PC/laptop; I can take a look for you.
                  "A people that elect corrupt politicians, imposters, thieves and traitors are not victims, but accomplices," George Orwell

Comment

Dual boot? I have Vista and XP and use XP most of the time, however the laptop doesn't seem to like the XP version of certain drivers (such as audio ) so I tend to do my worky stuff on XP and entertainment stuff on Vista, until I can the drivers sorted at least.

If you use nLite you can significantly cut out the useless crap form your XP install as well (such as the puppy dog search fearture for example) and replace it with free software that actually works.

Think you can get something called vLite as well for Vista

Comment

Working...
                    X