• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Software Partnering

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Software Partnering

Does anyone do this here?

I'm thinking of going down this route but what are the gotchas? What kind of ROI am I likely to expect in terms of time and referrals?

I know the answer will be it depends but any generalisations are welcome
    Last edited by Badger; 11 June 2008, 19:38.

What does it mean?
    Will work inside IR35. Or for food.

Comment

I mean partnering with a software vendor so that MyCo becomes a partner after paying the vendor and attending the requisite training courses. You then become accredited as a partner and get direct opportuinities to end clients via the software vendor

HTH

Comment

Originally posted by Badger View Post
        I mean partnering with a software vendor so that MyCo becomes a partner after paying the vendor and attending the requisite training courses. You then become accredited as a partner and get direct opportuinities to end clients via the software vendor

HTH
        Blimey you have to pay? Don't let any of the ISVs I partner with know that as I've wangled it the other way round...they train and pay me...
        Brexit is having a wee in the middle of the room at a house party because nobody is talking to you, and then complaining about the smell.

Comment

i do this with a very large software vendor. there's lots of guff about all the things my money gets me but tbh the only thing i am interested in is being able to use their logo on my website. hmmm, i suppose the free software and support is quite useful too.

Comment

Does anyone do this here?

I'm thinking of going down this route but what are the gotchas? What kind of ROI am I likely to expect in terms of time and referrals?

I know the answer will be it depends but any generalisations are welcome
            Some are good, some are very good, but most churn your business and seriously p1ss off your clients in the process.

Best to find out from your network which ones are worth the effort.

IMHO hardware vendors seem most honest, security types like firewalls are the absolute worst.
            Insanity: repeating the same actions, but expecting different results.
            threadeds website, and here's my blog.

Comment

Thanks for the responses.

Darnstadt - sounds good, room for one more??

I'm thinking it will be a way of me building up some sort of consultancy business rather that busting my gut as a one man band contractor, thereby getting direct to end client agreements and proper consultancy rates.

DS23 - do you get the direct opportunites, and how long before you broke even on your fees?

Many thanks

Comment

DS23 - do you get the direct opportunites, and how long before you broke even on your fees?
                hi badger

i've not had a direct opportunity from the vendor through their partnership process or "portal" but that is not surprising - i'm a tiny fish in an ocean of much bigger fish. i'm planning on expanding my presence in their portal in the coming years as i get to grips with their latest software releases.

like i said the key thing for me was to buy the rights to use their logo on my website, business cards and paperwork. cost a grand a year so two days work per year pays for it and it took a year before i got a bite. that initial contact started as a 10 day job but is now becoming my main earner. i can't say that the gig was a direct result of software partnership but i don't think my business has a solid footing without their image on it.

Comment

Originally posted by DS23 View Post
                  hi badger

i've not had a direct opportunity from the vendor through their partnership process or "portal" but that is not surprising - i'm a tiny fish in an ocean of much bigger fish.
                  And therein lies the problem. Also, you'll find if you want the vendor to supply you with qualified leads you will have to commit to sales targets and a specified number of vendor qualified engineers/coders and salesmen. This usually means paying for vendor training as well as taking on said staff (or subby's).

So...not as easy as it seems. If it was I'm sure everyone would be doing it...
                  Older and ...well, just older!!

Comment

Working...
                  X