• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Laptop Hard Drive

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Laptop Hard Drive

I've just checked the specs of my laptop online and found that the hard disk is a 100 GB - Serial ATA-150 - 5400 rpm

I want to buy a new hard drive due to a project which I'm going to use it for at work (good on the old IR35 front). As it currently only has a 5400 rpm drive in it, does that mean that I can't put a faster 7200 one in?

Apologies for the noddy question!
    Rule Number 1 - Assuming that you have a valid contract in place always try to get your poo onto your timesheet, provided that the timesheet is valid for your current contract and covers the period of time that you are billing for.

I preferred version 1!

No, a 7200RPM drive will work just fine.. You could probably fit a SATA II drive in, and it should be backwards compatible (as your current drive is SATA I, I am assuming the controller in the laptop is SATA I too)..

I use DriveMyLaptop for hard drives - good service and good prices..
    The "Fit" hits the "Shan"

Comment

Cheers for that - I have to get one tonight so that I can install it and setup the software. Then start using it tomorrow but the prices on that site are very good.
      Rule Number 1 - Assuming that you have a valid contract in place always try to get your poo onto your timesheet, provided that the timesheet is valid for your current contract and covers the period of time that you are billing for.

I preferred version 1!

Comment

Originally posted by TonyEnglish View Post
        I've just checked the specs of my laptop online and found that the hard disk is a 100 GB - Serial ATA-150 - 5400 rpm

I want to buy a new hard drive due to a project which I'm going to use it for at work (good on the old IR35 front). As it currently only has a 5400 rpm drive in it, does that mean that I can't put a faster 7200 one in?

Apologies for the noddy question!
        You need to consider the tradeoff that a higher-speed drive will draw more power, thereby shortening your battery life between charges.

If you'll mainly be working plugged in, this shouldn't be a problem, though.

http://www.tomshardware.com/ is a good place to find objective reviews covering such matters - I was made aware of the above fact when reading a comparative review of laptop drives on there yesterday. FWIW I decided to go with 5400, as it seemed to me that the speed gain wouldn't provide me with enough of a benefit to offset the shorter battery life. YMMV, of course.

Comment

Of course, being a contractor, you should really be getting a Solid State disk - 32GB drives are now down to about £400..
          The "Fit" hits the "Shan"

Comment

Working...
          X