• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

prisoners to learn technology skills

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

prisoners to learn technology skills

http://www.justice.gov.uk/news/newsrelease100608a.htm

An innovative scheme which will give prisoners the chance to change their ways by learning technology skills has been launched by Prisons Minister David Hanson MP and Skills Minister David Lammy MP. The initiative is also supported by the Department for Work and Pensions.

The vocational training scheme at HMP Wandsworth is aimed at securing jobs for prisoners on release by giving them skills in high demand by employers.

The project has been set up in partnership with computing and technology experts Cisco and Panduit and supported by construction company Bovis. Cisco and Bovis are part of the Corporate Alliance, set up to promote employer engagement activities involving over 100 organisations.

The Cisco/Panduit Academy demonstrates how prisoners are being given the opportunity to learn vocational skills supplied by both the private and public sectors working together.

=========================================

I can see DA will have a field day commenting on this!

A few places I've worked I'm sure this scheme has been in place for years. .Net is crying out for more coders, and I'm sure they'll fit right in.
    Insanity: repeating the same actions, but expecting different results.
    threadeds website, and here's my blog.

Comment

I wondered who nicked my fooking code!

Comment

Originally posted by threaded View Post
        I'm sure this scheme has been in place for years.
        It has; a former colleague of mine left to start a vocational training course at a prison about 8 years ago (DBA, if I recall).

How long before they start posting here, asking why they've been knocked back for SC?
        Oh, I’m sorry….I seem to be lost. I was looking for the sane side of town. I’d ask you for directions, but I have a feeling you’ve never been there and I’d be wasting my time.

Comment

Originally posted by SizeZero View Post
          How long before they start posting here, asking why they've been knocked back for SC?
          Not a reason to fail.
          Insanity: repeating the same actions, but expecting different results.
          threadeds website, and here's my blog.

Comment

The courses available at my prison were all word/excel/other applications and could be done to a variety of levels. There was also an NVQ in business management.
            This was back in 97. 18 months HMP Lancaster.

It makes sense in some ways and not in others. Recidivism rates drop dramaticaly if the offender can find gainful employment away from the usual crowd.
            Not everyone in prison is thick so a range of courses from basic wiring to the full cisco networks engineer would be good. These qualifications would be in demand skills and would actualy give a bit of status if the offender got a job.

The down side is that it is very difficult (if not impossible) to get a serious job with a criminal record.
            I am not qualified to give the above advice!

The original point and click interface by
            Smith and Wesson.

Step back, have a think and adjust my own own attitude from time to time

Comment

Originally posted by The Lone Gunman View Post
              The courses available at my prison were all word/excel/other applications and could be done to a variety of levels. There was also an NVQ in business management.

It makes sense in some ways and not in others. Recidivism rates drop dramaticaly if the offender can find gainful employment away from the usual crowd.
              Not everyone in prison is thick so a range of courses from basic wiring to the full cisco networks engineer would be good. These qualifications would be in demand skills and would actualy give a bit of status if the offender got a job.

The down side is that it is very difficult (if not impossible) to get a serious job with a criminal record.
              The "rehabilitation of offenders act" not withstanding of course...

Comment

Is this in any way related to the "Gunman" bit?!

Comment

Originally posted by Churchill View Post
                  The "rehabilitation of offenders act" not withstanding of course...
                  all the law in the world doesnt make a shiite of difference. If an employer gets a whif of a record they find a way not to take you on.
                  I am not qualified to give the above advice!

The original point and click interface by
                  Smith and Wesson.

Step back, have a think and adjust my own own attitude from time to time

Comment

all the law in the world doesnt make a shiite of difference. If an employer gets a whif of a record they find a way not to take you on.
                    Yeah, I can imagine. But who would tell?

Comment

Working...
                    X