• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Moving to Front Office

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Moving to Front Office

Any tips from moving from Back to Front Office/Hedge Funds? Got a back office role on offer, but frankly boring, and want to move onwards and upwards into FX/Trading, etc.

Originally posted by dude69 View Post
    Any tips from moving from Back to Front Office/Hedge Funds? Got a back office role on offer, but frankly boring, and want to move onwards and upwards into FX/Trading, etc.
    Yeah, the first gobby trader that winds you up, deck him! There and then, none of this "Quiet Word" sh!te!

Comment

Lie on your CV*.

HTH.

*In no way treat this post as serious advice
      "Experience hath shewn, that even under the best forms of government those entrusted with power have, in time, and by slow operations, perverted it into tyranny. "

Thomas Jefferson

Comment

Is "Front Office" a euphemism? Like "Front Bottom".

Comment

Er, if you are allready at an IB, have you tried popping down to the trading floor and asking about amongst the FO geeks? Someone might be looking.
          The Mods stole my post count!

Comment

Originally posted by Pickle2 View Post
            Er, if you are allready at an IB, have you tried popping down to the trading floor and asking about amongst the FO geeks? Someone might be looking.
            If you're one of those back office monkeys you won't have access to the trading floors.

I'm quite happy in my nice quiet back office gig at the moment. Quite dull, not really delivering anything strategic, but 9-5.30, and I'm working a 4 day week for the next 3 months.

Comment

You lot wont believe what happened to me this morning.

Some Oik from the back office came up to me and tried to lay one on me. I nutted him. While he was down the others game him a good kicking and then security threw him out.
              How did this happen? Who's to blame? Well certainly there are those more responsible than others, and they will be held accountable, but again truth be told, if you're looking for the guilty, you need only look into a mirror.

Follow me on Twitter - LinkedIn Profile - The HAB blog - New Blog: Mad Cameron
              Xeno points: +5 - Asperger rating: 36 - Paranoid Schizophrenic rating: 44%

"We hang the petty thieves and appoint the great ones to high office" - Aesop

Comment

My own opinion is it's not worth it. You're better off in middle or back office where it's less stressful. Nice to get one contract under your belt though so you can say you've done it. You don't necessarily get paid more and have to work longer hours so end up effectively a lower rate. You will however learn enough about personality defects to write a book on running a mental institution.
                ...my quagmire of greed....my cesspit of laziness and unfairness....all I am doing is sticking two fingers up at nurses, doctors and other hard working employed professionals...

Comment

On the plus side though, much much better totty in the front office.

Comment

It took me probably 4 years to move slowly from a back office role to front-office. I'm currently front-office and sit on the Cash and Currency trading desk. Main difference I found was the level of business knowledge you need, they will assume by default you know what they are talking about. I think its one of those things were you have to be lucky to get the first front-office gig and then when you have one the others will follow. My current gig is probably 50/50 in terms of technology and business split.

Comment

Working...
                    X