• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Can I legally Do This ?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Can I legally Do This ?

Anyone know if the following is legal.

Party A & B were a couple (not married) and own a house as tenants in common, party A owns 60% party B owns 40%. Party B moved out of the house due to split. Can party A change the locks and stop party B entering the property, considering the fact that it was party B who left and party A doesnt want them back in the house. Any ideas ?

I am due to see a solicitor next week but was thinking of changing the locks at weekend ?

Cheers

Originally posted by Bumfluff View Post
    Anyone know if the following is legal.

Party A & B were a couple (not married) and own a house as tenants in common, party A owns 60% party B owns 40%. Party B moved out of the house due to split. Can party A change the locks and stop party B entering the property, considering the fact that it was party B who left and party A doesnt want them back in the house. Any ideas ?

I am due to see a solicitor next week but was thinking of changing the locks at weekend ?

Cheers
    i assume you are party a? then yes if you think party b may cause damage to something...
    I didn't say it was your ******* fault, I said I was blaming you!

Comment

Originally posted by scooby View Post
      i assume you are party a? then yes if you think party b may cause damage to something...
      Yeah I'm party A, I don't think she will cause damage apart from to my sanity, but she has suggested that she needs to move back into the house and I don't want her to at all, its either her or me.

Comment

Hang on. According to my posts, A is my wife. You're not my wife are you?

Comment

It's a tough one. Friend of mine had one of these 'amicable' splits very recently where she kept the house and he walked out. She didn't change the locks and he walked out again one day when she was at work, with everything bar her clothes...
          Oh, I’m sorry….I seem to be lost. I was looking for the sane side of town. I’d ask you for directions, but I have a feeling you’ve never been there and I’d be wasting my time.

Comment

Not sure why anyone thinks they might be legally entitled to deny a joint owner access to their own property - but I am not a lawyer. My lawyer was vague on this (like everything else) but advised me against, even though B had moved out, however we were married.

Comment

It's so much easier if you marry. You just give her the lot.
              Down with racism. Long live miscegenation!

Comment

breaking in

Hi,

Its not possible to break into a house that you own ( or part own ). If your ex changes the locks then you can call a locksmith or break a window or even kick the door down if thats what you want, and it won't be a matter for the police.

Of course, if your ex has a court order barring you from the house or you are otherwise legally prevented from entering the house then thats a seperate matter.

Comment

Originally posted by NotAllThere View Post
                  It's so much easier if you marry. You just give her the lot.
                  Yeah, like Rod Stewart: "I'm not going to marry again, I'll just find some woman I don't like and give her a house".

Comment

changing the locks, isn't denying her access, as long as you say "if you want in contact me and i'll let you in"; supervised.

?

Comment

Working...
                    X