• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Help needed getting back on the straight and narrow!

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Help needed getting back on the straight and narrow!

Hi,

I'm coming to the end of my first contract using my own co. As I was in serious financial shape personally leading up to the contract I've had to divert most of myco income to stop balifs etc. Things are looking a bit more stable now so I seriously need to pull my accounts back into shape - I wish I could've handled things differently but there simply was no choice.

Has anyone any suggestions? Do I have to justify every transaction made on my business account? Or can I simply take the minimum salary and the rest out as dividends up to the point where the accounts match?

Hem

Originally posted by Hemingfield View Post
    ... Or can I simply take the minimum salary and the rest out as dividends up to the point where the accounts match?
    That's what I'd do. But I'd consultant an accountant first.
    Down with racism. Long live miscegenation!

Comment

You'd better see an accountant. The bank transfer itself confuses matters, and wouldn't look good in an audit, but as long as it matches up I think there shouldn't be a big problem.
      I'm alright Jack

Comment

Hemingfield, you're not in an unusual position but you really should speak with an accountant. All the payments could be retrospectively declared as dividends but you need to get the paperwork sorted.

Comment

Originally posted by Hemingfield View Post
          Hi,

I'm coming to the end of my first contract using my own co. As I was in serious financial shape personally leading up to the contract I've had to divert most of myco income to stop balifs etc. Things are looking a bit more stable now so I seriously need to pull my accounts back into shape - I wish I could've handled things differently but there simply was no choice.

Has anyone any suggestions? Do I have to justify every transaction made on my business account? Or can I simply take the minimum salary and the rest out as dividends up to the point where the accounts match?

Hem
          How long until end of company year? I believe first year can be up to 17 months.

When I ran a ltd my accountant told me he did not care what happened during the year - as long as at the end I had borrowed less than £5k.

Comment

I was in exactly the same position. I got in touch with a local accountant (Belfast) who was used to dealing with contractors accounts and legislation.

Accounts and everything sorted. Paperwork prepared. All I had to do was sign all the papers put in front of me.

I'm now back with a recovering credit record and a good accountant running my books.
            SUFTUM

May life give you what you need, rather than what you want....

Comment

Working...
            X