• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Web services

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Web services

This isn't my area of expertise, so be gentle.

As I understand it, a client (in this case a flash movie, but that won't be the only use) can open an HTTP connection in the background, send XML and get XML back from something on a server. Fine.

Can this connection be kept open? If I want something reporting live data from the server, can the server just keep sending data down the same connection, or does the client have to keep polling, establishing a new connection with each poll?

And if it does need to keep polling with a new connection each time, is it reasonable to do that say 20 times a second over a LAN?

Ta.
    Will work inside IR35. Or for food.

if your using a LAN, why are you using HTTP, look at using Remoting over TCP/IP, the binary traffic is much faster and you can manage the channels you want to open etc.

Comment

Originally posted by phayes View Post
      if you're using a LAN, why are you using HTTP, look at using Remoting over TCP/IP, the binary traffic is much faster and you can manage the channels you want to open etc.
      Well it isn't necessarily a LAN, and as I understand it the attraction of HTTP is that it then gets round issues of firewalls and proxies etc. which any kind of direct connection does not.

Comment

Web services follow the http protocol so therefore the connection can not be kept open as you are describing. Not idle anyway, as a timeout is likely to occur. You may be able to make the response object continuously send data towards the client, although in my opinion a client to server polling option would be better and probably require less in bandwidth than leaving the response stream running indefinitely.

Comment

web services are stateless, you cannot keep a port open.

really look into remoting as it is web services for the lan, if you can allow port 80, then you should be fine.

http://www.developer.com/net/cplus/article.php/1479761

whatever you do i hope you solve it. :-)

Comment

Ta. .NET isn't an option, and correct me if I'm wrong but it looks like remoting is .NET's (much improved) take on DCOM.

Looks like I was barking up the wrong tree. Binary data over sockets is back within my area of expertise, so in some ways it's a relief to know web services won't do what I want. I was just trying to do The Right Thing by using all this webby soapy stuff everybody keeps talking about.

Comment

Thanks. Actually it's pretty much going to be one client most of the time. So it probably would keep up, but constantly polling still seems a bad idea (though I guess I could make that a fallback mode).

Now if only Flash's security sandbox would work the way the instructions say it works...

Comment

Originally posted by VectraMan View Post
                Thanks. Actually it's pretty much going to be one client most of the time. So it probably would keep up, but constantly polling still seems a bad idea (though I guess I could make that a fallback mode).

Now if only Flash's security sandbox would work the way the instructions say it works...
                One client shouldn't be a problem, although I still don't think it's likely to be necessary to poll any more often than ten times a second max, given human reaction times - unless it's a cool game requiring quick reflexes

Can't really help with Flash I'm afraid

One thing that helps a lot when dealing with HTTP is a client-side HTTP debugger - you can get a better idea of what's actually happening on the wire (e.g. what HTTP response codes you're getting).

Fiddler, written by a chap at Microsoft, is a free download - Windows only.

Charles has a trial version that runs (with occasional nag screens) for thirty minutes, and is cross-platform - it can also do some rather neat tricks that probably aren't relevant to your problem.

Comment

Working...
                X