• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Hurrah! Ireland!!! Thank you!

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hurrah! Ireland!!! Thank you!

Voted no to Lisbon treaty!

Out of interest, which bit of the treaty did you not like?
    The Mods stole my post count!

Comment

Broadly, transferring more power to Brussells.

More specifically, states combatting climate change as an objective of the EU.

Removes the veto, makes majority voting binding.

Yourself?
      Last edited by Lucy; 13 June 2008, 15:56.

Comment

Yippee! Well done Ireland!!

What with them throwing out the Treaty, and the daft DUP voting *for* 42 day internment, I've half a mind to start supporting Sin Fein (sp?). Well why not - they're respectable now, and not blowing things up any more.

Comment

Me, none. Im fairly pro-europe, so would be a "yes" voter.

Im not sure its really about transfering more power to europe. The changes to the voting system are mainly to allow the union to actually make descisions based on qualified majority. It seems odd that we would want bulgaria holding sway over the wishes of the rest of the continent, for example. My feeling is that if we are in europe, and we want europe to function, then its a necessary piece of legislation.

I think the irish should now face another vote to either

1. Ratify
          or
          2. Leave the union, and let the rest of us get on with trying to create something better than the status quo.
          The Mods stole my post count!

Comment

Originally posted by Pickle2 View Post
            Me, none. Im fairly pro-europe, so would be a "yes" voter.

Im not sure its really about transfering more power to europe. The changes to the voting system are mainly to allow the union to actually make descisions based on qualified majority. It seems odd that we would want bulgaria holding sway over the wishes of the rest of the continent, for example. My feeling is that if we are in europe, and we want europe to function, then its a necessary piece of legislation.

1. Ratify
            or
            2. Leave the union, and let the rest of us get on with trying to create something better than the status quo.
            Oi! Stop thinking. You're only allowed to rant and cliche-think like our resident thicko, Lucy.
            Hard Brexit now!
            #prayfornodeal

Comment

1. Ratify
              or
              Fair enough point. How about all member states holding a referendum? Then, whichever countries vote as Ireland have done, give the people the choice to stay or go.

Where would that leave the EU project?
              Older and ...well, just older!!

Comment

I am with the Irish on this one.
                If our British government incurs the wrath of the people we can all vote them out.
                With Brussels we have no such power.
                I am not qualified to give the above advice!

The original point and click interface by
                Smith and Wesson.

Step back, have a think and adjust my own own attitude from time to time

Comment

Blimey, so if you get the chance to vote for something but vote against it you should leave?
                  You're not Gordon Brown by any chance, are you?

Comment

Originally posted by sasguru View Post
                    Oi! Stop thinking. You're only allowed to rant and cliche-think like our resident thicko, Lucy.
                    What quals do you have again saddo?

None?

Hmmm.

Comment

Working...
                    X