• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Self assessment - "service company" income

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Self assessment - "service company" income

Has there been any more news on the self assessment question regarding income from "service companies"?

I'm getting ready to complete mine, searched PCG forums but couldn't find anything definative on there.

What are people doing?
    Answered Yes/No on P35, leave "service company" question blank of SA
    11.11%
    Answered No/No on P35, leave "service company" question blank of SA
    55.56%
    Answered Yes/No on P35, entering earnings into "service company" box
    22.22%
    Answered No/No on P35, entering earnings into "service company" box
    11.11%

Yes/No on P35, entering earnings into "service company" box, as recommended by PCG.

QB.

Comment

HMRC have since said they are ignoring Q6 on the P35, so if you've put either Yes/No or No/No on the P35 I think you can ignore the service income box on the SA.

Comment

Originally posted by moorfield View Post
        HMRC have since said they are ignoring Q6 on the P35

"ok".....
        The cycle of life: born > learn > work > learn > dead.

Comment

HMRC have since said they are ignoring Q6 on the P35, so if you've put either Yes/No or No/No on the P35 I think you can ignore the service income box on the SA.
          Is that in writing anywhere official? Otherwise it might be a dangerous assumption to make.

Comment

Have you been asked by your accountant what the answer should be? My accountant has checked Yes/No and I am very pissed off about it.

I am closing my Limited Company because of this. HMRC's word for ignoring this question is untrustworthy.

Comment

Originally posted by Likely View Post
              Have you been asked by your accountant what the answer should be? My accountant has checked Yes/No and I am very pissed off about it.

I am closing my Limited Company because of this. HMRC's word for ignoring this question is untrustworthy.
              Shouldn't your accountant have asked you what to put?

Do you work for him, or does he work for you?

Next time do the forms yourself, it took me all of 10 minutes.

Comment

Originally posted by Lewis
                Is that in writing anywhere official? Otherwise it might be a dangerous assumption to make.
                http://www.hmrc.gov.uk/employers/200...35-Quest-6.htm

Originally posted by Likely
                Mine too, one of the two well used ones on here, without thinking to check with me. After doing a lot of my own research (including the P35 poll on here) I decided No/No and asked them to amend the P35 return.

Comment

Mine too, one of the two well used ones on here, without thinking to check with me. After doing a lot of my own research (including the P35 poll on here) I decided No/No and asked them to amend the P35 return.
                  We are with the same accountant . I can't believe how they could have done it. Is it late to ask them to amend it now ? I thought the form would have been submitted already.
                  Last edited by Likely; 17 June 2008, 09:25.

Comment

I've seen that link before. But it does not say you can ignore the question on your Self Assessment tax Return.

Comment

Working...
                    X