• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Global Cooling

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Global Cooling

The basis of global warming (aka Climate Change) is this:

Increasing greenhouse gases released into the atmosphere (mostly focussing on CO2) results in a global increase in average temperature. And up until the late nineties, the graphs showed a correlation between CO2 increase and temperature increase.

BUT

Over the last 10 years, the global temperature has been flat (not risen).

Indeed, Jan 2007 to Jan 2008 saw the largest fall in global average temperature for a long long time, negating about 100 yrs of "global warming" in one fell swoop. Global temperature fell 0.6 deg C in 12 months!

http://wattsupwiththat.wordpress.com...-time-hadcrut/

While weather is defined as such variability, the fact that so many things are in agreement on a global scale in such a short time span of one year should give us all pause for consideration.
    Can someone please explain how CO2 levels are rising massively and yet the thing that defines global warming, the global average temperature is falling?

I want my "green" taxes back for last year please.
    Last edited by DimPrawn; 17 June 2008, 07:20.

Originally posted by DimPrawn View Post
    The basis of global warming (aka Climate Change) is this:

Increasing greenhouse gases released into the atmosphere (mostly focussing on CO2) results in a global increase in average temperature. And up until the late nineties, the graphs showed a correlation between CO2 increase and temperature increase.

BUT

Over the last 10 years, the global temperature has been flat (not risen).

Indeed, Jan 2007 to Jan 2008 saw the largest fall in global average temperature for a long long time, negating about 100 yrs of "global warming" in one fell swoop. Global temperature fell 0.6 deg C in 12 months!

http://wattsupwiththat.wordpress.com...-time-hadcrut/

I want my "green" taxes back for last year please.
    No, No, No! That's why "Global Warming" is no more.
    With Climate Change, you get taxed whether the temperature rises or falls anywhere in the world. It's only fair.

Comment

That's interesting the temperature in Greenland was warmer in the 1930's and 40's than it was last year.

Perhaps CO2 causes cooling.
      I'm alright Jack

Comment

Originally posted by BlasterBates View Post
        That's interesting the temperature in Greenland was warmer in the 1930's and 40's than it was last year.

Perhaps CO2 causes cooling.
        Perhaps CO2 only causes tax increases?

Comment

Originally posted by DimPrawn View Post
          Perhaps CO2 only causes tax increases?
          Labour governments
          ǝןqqıʍ

Comment

Thinking about it, it was a bit chilly this morning !

Anyway, I want more doom, not this weather stuff.

Comment

I think it's down to something called Global Dimming. I saw a programme about this (Horizon I think), so I'll try to remember the cause. Actually here's a link.

If I remember correctly, the pollution in the atmosphere causes more clouds (water droplets form around the particles of pollution), which in turn reduce the amount of sunlight reaching the ground. This in turn reduces the ground surface temperature, resulting in a gradual reduction in the atmoshperic temperature.

I think. Don't have time to read up on it now.

Comment

Originally posted by Moose423956 View Post
                I think it's down to something called Global Dimming. I saw a programme about this (Horizon I think), so I'll try to remember the cause. Actually here's a link.

If I remember correctly, the pollution in the atmosphere causes more clouds (water droplets form around the particles of pollution), which in turn reduce the amount of sunlight reaching the ground. This in turn reduces the ground surface temperature, resulting in a gradual reduction in the atmoshperic temperature.

I think. Don't have time to read up on it now.
                Why the **** haven't we got a tax on dimming yet? Is this government sitting by whilst the world gets dimmer and dimmer? I'm outraged at their feet dragging on this important policy.

Comment

The fact is that Global Dimming is reducing the effect of Global Warming, so the government should be encouraging us to pollute the atmosphere more so the temperatures don't go up.

Edit: Oh yeah, and if pollution is reduced this will have the effect of decreasing Global Dimming, and increasing Global Warming even further!

Comment

As you learn in basic CSE level maths, fluctuations over small periods, either high or low do not negate any overall long term rise or fall.
                    If you want to argue the case against anthropogenic global warming (which is a valid position to take) try not to ruin your position with a cretinous argument.

HTH
                    Hard Brexit now!
                    #prayfornodeal

Comment

Working...
                    X