• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

KP's new shot - legal or not?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

KP's new shot - legal or not?

The MCC are going to decide on whether or not KP's new left-handed shot is illegal. Linky

The main problem appears to be with the LBW rule - where a batsman can't be out LBW if the ball pitches outside leg stump. I think the umpire should determine the stance of the batsman (either right-handed or left-handed) as the bowler starts his run-up. So if the batsman switches to left-handed half-way through the bowler's run-up, then it should still be treated as if he's batting right-handed.

Simple really.

What if you bat for both sides?

Comment

Originally posted by DimPrawn View Post
      What if you bat for both sides?
      I don't, and I don't think KP does either. Linky

Comment

Originally posted by Moose423956 View Post
        The MCC are going to decide on whether or not KP's new left-handed shot is illegal. Linky

The main problem appears to be with the LBW rule - where a batsman can't be out LBW if the ball pitches outside leg stump. I think the umpire should determine the stance of the batsman (either right-handed or left-handed) as the bowler starts his run-up. So if the batsman switches to left-handed half-way through the bowler's run-up, then it should still be treated as if he's batting right-handed.

Simple really.
        You've also got the "fairness" of the battle between bowler and batsman. The bowler has to inform the umpire if he's changing from around to over the wicket. KP didn't tell the umpire he was going to change to a left-handed grip.
        ‎"See, you think I give a tulip. Wrong. In fact, while you talk, I'm thinking; How can I give less of a tulip? That's why I look interested."

Comment

The bowler's surely at liberty to dig one in at the last minute straight into the batsman's unprotected ribs if he spots him pulling this trick.

Fantastic trick though. He's probably just doubled his 20 20 match fee with those two shots.
          Guy Fawkes - "The last man to enter Parliament with honourable intentions."

Comment

There's nothing specifically in the rules about that AFAIK, except the 'fair play' edict as cited above. If the bowler has to inform the umpire if he decides to go over/around, then it's only fair the batsman does the same for right/left.

Edit - I am not, nor will ever be, a Labour supporter.

Comment

Originally posted by Alf W View Post
              The bowler's surely at liberty to dig one in at the last minute straight into the batsman's unprotected ribs if he spots him pulling this trick.

Fantastic trick though. He's probably just doubled his 20 20 match fee with those two shots.
              I've only seen it once on the internet as I was away.

Does he change after the ball has been bowled or as he's running up?
              ‎"See, you think I give a tulip. Wrong. In fact, while you talk, I'm thinking; How can I give less of a tulip? That's why I look interested."

Comment

Originally posted by Moscow Mule View Post
                I've only seen it once on the internet as I was away.

Does he change after the ball has been bowled or as he's running up?
                I think in this case it was after the bowler bowled. If he did it during the run-up, the bowler could just pull out. It would only work against a slow bowler.

Comment

Originally posted by Alf W View Post
                  Yup - I think that's where he's going with it.

Seem to remember Ronnie O Sullivan doing something similar and playing left handed half way through his matches a few years ago.

Comment

Originally posted by moorfield View Post
                    Yup - I think that's where he's going with it.

Seem to remember Ronnie O Sullivan doing something similar and playing left handed half way through his matches a few years ago.
                    But with Ronnie he could play the shot left handed so that he didn't need to use the rest, a little different to KP

Comment

Working...
                    X