• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

What's your favourite 4x4 ?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What's your favourite 4x4 ?

assuming you're not too hard up and you had a choice of all,

which 4x4 would you get ?

we all know big 4x4's are safer on the road, higher up driving position, more metal around you as protection so which would it be ?

Me, unsure, from a practical perspective the strong 4.2 diesel and load carrying capabilities of the big Toyota Landcruiser make it the winner, but on the otherside the Volvo XC90 and the RangeRover are big machines too

the X5 is a bit too BMW show off-ish and the Mercedes ML is too small on the inside, the VW Toerag is too highly price for a VW

What does the jury think ?

Milan.

granted,

they are excellent and any decent local mechanic/fitter, not to mention a handy diy'er can maintain the old girls, spare parts are in abundance and everybody has a softspot for the old landies plus you can pick em up cheap and they won't devalue

do you have one ?

that's the one with the two headlights in the radiator grill and is it the 2.25 diesel ?

does it have free wheeling hubs, you have to get out in the mud to engage the locks ?

Milan.

Comment

Chelsea tractors are for the deeply uncool and w*ankers. Which category do you belong to Milan? Oh I forgot - both.
      Hard Brexit now!
      #prayfornodeal

Comment

aye,

without a doubt they are safer in an accident

Milan.

Comment

Milan

As you know I am in the market for a new car and as such faced with differing requirements, such as growing family, keyless car etc I considered a two 4x4's namely Discovery 3 and Nissan Pathfinder however I have ruled both out. Mainly because speed is off the essence for me - driving in a diesel does not do it for me. On the other hand going for 4.2 petrol would not only be uneconomical it would be plain stupid. As such the Chico family are now looking at A6 Avant 2.4 fully loaded. Fast, sleek,safe and environmentally
          sound.

Failing that its back to the Laguna

Sola gratia

Sola fide

Soli Deo gloria

Comment

Hello Chico,

please not back to the Laguna.

Well I cannot argue with the Audi, they are awesome, but why not go for the 2.5 diesel quattro, speed, safety, efficiency

What do you think of the Grand Cherokee 2.7 5 cylinder diesel, I am tempted to trade up to one of these from the Skoda in the next 12 months

I just discovered the 2.7 diesel in the Grand Cherokee is derived from the 2.7 diesel in the Mercedes

Milan.

Comment

Subaru Forester 2.5 XT (but wait for the updated one in September). Faster than almost everything else including the Porsche Cayenne, handles, goes, got all the toys, doesn't break down. And doesn't make you look like a total winker.

Range Rover and Freelander are better for going downhill in the mud - but if you're doing that regularly, then get a real Landie. Everything else depends on how much you want to impress teh neighbours and annoy Red Ken
              Blog? What blog...?

Comment

yeah but it's not much bigger inside than my skoda estate

these days, as Benes Invoicing Ltd is now 3, a car with plenty of space matters, hence the leaning towards the big Jeep

Milan.

Comment

Originally posted by Chico
                  Milan

As you know I am in the market for a new car and as such faced with differing requirements, such as growing family, keyless car etc
                  Would have thought this would have been right up your street, Chico...

If you think my attitude stinks, you should smell my fingers.

Comment

Originally posted by milanbenes
                    yeah but it's not much bigger inside than my skoda estate

these days, as Benes Invoicing Ltd is now 3, a car with plenty of space matters, hence the leaning towards the big Jeep

Milan.
                    Yes but compared to an estate car how much bigger is the Jeep? Most 4x4s have the same amount of interior seating and space as a normalfamily car.
                    Sola gratia

Sola fide

Soli Deo gloria

Comment

Working...
                    X