• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Company bike

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Company bike

Hi All

I am just starting to think about moving away from using my motorbike as a personal vehicle and transferring it into the company, this is being drive by rising fuel costs and the fact that 24p per mile is no longer that good.

So here are the figures:

Bike Value = £2000
    BIK = 20% of value per annum = £400
    Annual depreciation 25%
    Service costs (inc tyres) £350 per annum
    Miles = 8800
    Insurance = £200

Now as a personal vehicle I can claim £2112. but the fuel works out to roughly £1000

Is is worth transferring this into the company. I can legitimately claim safety equipment (leathers, helmet...etc) as well

The BIK is on the bikes list price not current price. So £2k seems a little low.

Comment

We had a company bike...but she left some time ago!!! it's a shame, as I really miss the fun we used to have in the comms room on the 5th floor
      "If you can read this, thank a teacher....and since it's in English, thank a soldier"

Comment

Originally posted by Sockpuppet View Post
        The BIK is on the bikes list price not current price. So £2k seems a little low.
        the bike is a second had one, when new in 2002 it was 5200, the current market value is about 2k

Comment

Originally posted by aceboy View Post
          the bike is a second had one, when new in 2002 it was 5200, the current market value is about 2k
          Yes.

And the BIK is still on the list price of £5200.

Comment

Blimey.....perhaps it isn't so good. So basically my company buys an asset for 2k but I get taxed as though it is 5200?

Comment

Originally posted by EvilWeevil View Post
              Yes.

Correct.

So the BIK is £1040.

Also I think you pay BIK on anything provided for it. So you also pay BIK on fuel unless you repay the comapny and I think BIK on any leathers.

Comment

Thanks for the tips.....not really worth it then

Comment

Originally posted by EvilWeevil View Post
                  Yes.

The benefit on a motorbike is on the market value of the asset when first provided, so 20% of £2000 in this case.

The "list price" is only for cars, vans (and I think, mobile phones.)

See paragraph 6.7 in http://www.hmrc.gov.uk/guidance/480.pdf

Comment

Originally posted by Archangel View Post
                    The benefit on a motorbike is on the market value of the asset when first provided, so 20% of £2000 in this case.

The "list price" is only for cars, vans (and I think, mobile phones.)

See paragraph 6.7 in http://www.hmrc.gov.uk/guidance/480.pdf

I stand corrected.

Comment

Working...
                    X