• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Cisco contractors - Doomed

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Cisco contractors - Doomed

Have you seen the new Cisco WIKI?

http://supportwiki.cisco.com/

No need to know anything anymore.
    Every geek in India will have this on speedial.
    Net result? Cisco jobs paying 80 quid a day.

Doom
    Bored.

I'm shaking in me boots ...

Tell you what - I'll give you the rest of the day, go find out how to configure anycast - give you a clue, it involves using the same IP address in different places ;-)
    Hang on - there is actually a place called Cheddar?? - cailin maith

Any forum is a collection of assorted weirdos, cranks and pervs - Board Game Geek

That will be a simply fab time to catch up for a beer. - Tay

Have you ever seen somebody lick the chutney spoon in an Indian Restaurant and put it back ? - Cyberghoul

Comment

Originally posted by snaw View Post
      I'm shaking in me boots ...

Tell you what - I'll give you the rest of the day, go find out how to configure anycast - give you a clue, it involves using the same IP address in different places ;-)
      You've just picked the first thing in the wiki - pure contractor bs
      ‎"See, you think I give a tulip. Wrong. In fact, while you talk, I'm thinking; How can I give less of a tulip? That's why I look interested."

Comment

Originally posted by ace00 View Post
        Have you seen the new Cisco WIKI?

http://supportwiki.cisco.com/

No need to know anything anymore.
        Every geek in India will have this on speedial.
        Net result? Cisco jobs paying 80 quid a day.

Doom
        http://www.oracle.com/support/index.html
        Now you're an Oracle DBA.

Prefer SAP?
        http://www.sap.com/services/bysubject/support/index.epx

Having the manual is not enough to make an expert.

Comment

Originally posted by Moscow Mule View Post
          You've just picked the first thing in the wiki - pure contractor bs
          Actually pure co-incidence
          But definition is one thing, go configure it ;-)

BTW Did I mention I'm a CCIE ...

The wiki is nothing new, just the DOC CD for dummies - interpreting it and doing config, design/troubleshooting is something entirely different. That wiki probably represents less than .01 percent of what you actually need to be able to cover

Any forum is a collection of assorted weirdos, cranks and pervs - Board Game Geek

Have you ever seen somebody lick the chutney spoon in an Indian Restaurant and put it back ? - Cyberghoul

Comment

Originally posted by snaw View Post
            Actually pure co-incidence
            But definition is one thing, go configure it ;-)

BTW Did I mention I'm a CCIE ...

The wiki is nothing new, just the DOC CD for dummies - interpreting it and doing config, design/troubleshooting is something entirely different. That wiki probably represents less than .01 percent of what you actually need to be able to cover
            I'm afraid that's about 80% greek to me.

I only wish there was something less unintelligible than this which I tend to need to refer to quite a bit these days...
            ‎"See, you think I give a tulip. Wrong. In fact, while you talk, I'm thinking; How can I give less of a tulip? That's why I look interested."

Comment

Originally posted by expat View Post
              http://www.oracle.com/support/index.html
              Now you're an Oracle DBA.

Prefer SAP?
              http://www.sap.com/services/bysubject/support/index.epx

Having the manual is not enough to make an expert.

FFS these are just vague advertising product descriptions, the Cisco WIKI is deep.
              And Mr. "oops did I forget to mention I'm CCIE, silly me", you is wrong. There is a ton of info in the WIKI especially for support level (CCNA) bods. Take a look at it..
              It's no biggie for me, these days I have my people do that kind of thing for me.
              Bored.

Comment

twaddle.....

there are plenty of resources on the web for every technology - the trick is to understand it and know how to implement a solution (usually through experience). One lab exam off a CCIE (security) myself and the gap I've seen working with engineers from the CCNA level engineers and those at CCIE is immence.

No amount of wiki is ever going to worry those with the experience......

Comment

Originally posted by jimjamuk View Post
                  twaddle.....

there are plenty of resources on the web for every technology - the trick is to understand it and know how to implement a solution (usually through experience). One lab exam off a CCIE (security) myself and the gap I've seen working with engineers from the CCNA level engineers and those at CCIE is immence.

No amount of wiki is ever going to worry those with the experience......
                  It's quite obvious I'm talking about the 90%+ of Cisco contractors without the CCIE.
                  You guys wouldn't need this anyhow, just use your superpowers to fly anti-clockwise around the Earth and travel back in time to prevent the problem before it occurs.
                  Bored.

Comment

Originally posted by ace00 View Post
                    It's quite obvious I'm talking about the 90%+ of Cisco contractors without the CCIE.
                    You guys wouldn't need this anyhow, just use your superpowers to fly anti-clockwise around the Earth and travel back in time to prevent the problem before it occurs.
                    Oh ffs - did you never hear of the DOC CD (This in an earlier form), or TAC or any number of other cisco resources that have been around forever. The wiki is a great wee resource, but that's all it is - without the knowledge and understanding behind it then it's useless.

You have to know what it is you're looking for, what it is you're trying to troubleshoot, which options are available to you for a design etc. This wiki isn't going to do that - at best it'll save you an hour of searching through the doc cd ...

Comment

Working...
                    X