• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Should money be based on a new standard?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Should money be based on a new standard?

I know little about money having never owned much of it. What I have owned is small numbers in a bank, or big numbers with a minus sign in front in the building society. Nevertheless it buys me things and get me around and from that I can estimate its true worth, but its value changes constantly and it is not easy to convert to its proper worth. Money is a bit of a meaningless quantity historically linked to bartering and to limited natural resources like Gold. It's worth is also subject to meddling with by politicians and money experts who move it around and make mistakes and get greedy.

I propose that money is linked to something with intrinsic value, the ability to do useful work, and to be unified with the Joule. Money based on energy will have an intrinsic value linked to something useful and tangible - the number of slaves we own. We own more slaves today than ever before because we are using energy like never before. Let's hope the age of cheap energy doesn't come to an end any time soon!

The value of Money:
    If say a slave works at about 200 watts (just over a quarter of a horsepower) and 1 Money unit is the work 1 slave does in a day, then:

1 Money = 200J * 3600 * 24 = 2*10^6 Joules, or 4.8kWh.
    This is enough to run a 1 bar (1KW) electric fire constantly for 4.8 hours, or in today's silly £ money about 20 pence.

Inflation (e.g. finding new energy reserves) does not matter in this currency since although there would be more money around, it still does the same amount of work because its linked to the laws of physics. Inflation just means everyone is getting richer and can get more work done. So for example growing a potato still costs the same even if there is more money about. Surely everyone can't get richer though? Yep, they can and this is easy to see when you use a proper currency unit, you just find more cheap energy. What about deflation? This means there is less energy available and we have less slaves to do work for us. We have to do more work for ourselves, limit how much energy we use, or ingress less energy (e.g. starve). All quite simple really. I imagine there is a little more work to do in getting this up and running globally, but I'm getting bored.

Should I put this idea forward to the IMF?

“Once a nation parts with control of its currency and credit, it matters not who makes that nation’s laws.” W.L. Mackenzie King

Comment

Originally posted by oracleslave View Post
      “Once a nation parts with control of its currency and credit, it matters not who makes that nation’s laws.” W.L. Mackenzie King
      Is that a no vote to the Euro then?

Comment

Do you think we should return to the Gold Standard?
        The court heard Darren Upton had written a letter to Judge Sally Cahill QC saying he wasn’t “a typical inmate of prison”.

But the judge said: “That simply demonstrates your arrogance continues. You are typical. Inmates of prison are people who are dishonest. You are a thoroughly dishonestly man motivated by your own selfish greed.”

Comment

Two things that are most evil in this world - money and religion.

Comment

Originally posted by Bagpuss View Post
            Nope, the Joule standard.

Comment

Originally posted by TazMaN View Post
              Two things that are most evil in this world - money and religion.
              - love of money.

Money is a thing, it doesn't have the emotional range to be evil.
              ‎"See, you think I give a tulip. Wrong. In fact, while you talk, I'm thinking; How can I give less of a tulip? That's why I look interested."

Comment

Originally posted by TimberWolf View Post
                I know little about money having never owned much of it. What I have owned is small numbers in a bank, or big numbers with a minus sign in front in the building society. Nevertheless it buys me things and get me around and from that I can estimate its true worth, but its value changes constantly and it is not easy to convert to its proper worth. Money is a bit of a meaningless quantity historically linked to bartering and to limited natural resources like Gold. It's worth is also subject to meddling with by politicians and money experts who move it around and make mistakes and get greedy.

I propose that money is linked to something with intrinsic value, the ability to do useful work, and to be unified with the Joule. Money based on energy will have an intrinsic value linked to something useful and tangible - the number of slaves we own. We own more slaves today than ever before because we are using energy like never before. Let's hope the age of cheap energy doesn't come to an end any time soon!

The value of Money:
                If say a slave works at about 200 watts (just over a quarter of a horsepower) and 1 Money unit is the work 1 slave does in a day, then:

1 Money = 200J * 3600 * 24 = 2*10^6 Joules, or 4.8kWh.
                This is enough to run a 1 bar (1KW) electric fire constantly for 4.8 hours, or in today's silly £ money about 20 pence.

Inflation (e.g. finding new energy reserves) does not matter in this currency since although there would be more money around, it still does the same amount of work because its linked to the laws of physics. Inflation just means everyone is getting richer and can get more work done. So for example growing a potato still costs the same even if there is more money about. Surely everyone can't get richer though? Yep, they can and this is easy to see when you use a proper currency unit, you just find more cheap energy. What about deflation? This means there is less energy available and we have less slaves to do work for us. We have to do more work for ourselves, limit how much energy we use, or ingress less energy (e.g. starve). All quite simple really. I imagine there is a little more work to do in getting this up and running globally, but I'm getting bored.

Should I put this idea forward to the IMF?
                Using money, and bartering are essentially the same. The only differences, is that "a common denominator" has been added in so people have something else to barter with.

(Read this in Business/Economics lecture notes several years ago - sorry, don't know the source)

Comment

Originally posted by TimberWolf View Post
                  I know little about money having never owned much of it. What I have owned is small numbers in a bank, or big numbers with a minus sign in front in the building society. Nevertheless it buys me things and get me around and from that I can estimate its true worth, but its value changes constantly and it is not easy to convert to its proper worth.
                  Where do you get this idea that money should have a constant value? What is the meaning of that idea?

You then go on to propose that money should have a constant value in terms of one commodity. What you are really saying is that the price of one particular commodity should be fixed. OK, might be nice, but in what way is that a "fix" for the "problem" of variable "value" of money?

Comment

Originally posted by Bagpuss View Post
                    I don’t know anything about the gold standard, I’m afraid, but I do like little kittens. They are so soft and furry.
                    How did this happen? Who's to blame? Well certainly there are those more responsible than others, and they will be held accountable, but again truth be told, if you're looking for the guilty, you need only look into a mirror.

Follow me on Twitter - LinkedIn Profile - The HAB blog - New Blog: Mad Cameron
                    Xeno points: +5 - Asperger rating: 36 - Paranoid Schizophrenic rating: 44%

"We hang the petty thieves and appoint the great ones to high office" - Aesop

Comment

Working...
                    X