• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Impact of jury service?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Impact of jury service?

Anyone know about the situation with respect to jury service in the UK? Can one claim for loss of earnings from the courts or failing that does anyone offer insurance against loss of earnings due to jury service? Or can we be exempt from jury service due to its impact on our earnings?

Regards,
    Michael

www.PCG.org.uk
    It's capped though.

Comment

Can't you just tell them you are predjudiced?
      That's my plan if I ever get called
      The court heard Darren Upton had written a letter to Judge Sally Cahill QC saying he wasn’t “a typical inmate of prison”.

But the judge said: “That simply demonstrates your arrogance continues. You are typical. Inmates of prison are people who are dishonest. You are a thoroughly dishonestly man motivated by your own selfish greed.”

Comment

Can you get called if you're not a UK citizen/subject?
        So, if I have a passport from another country and no UK passport, and do not meet the criteria for automatic UK nationality, can I still be called to jury service?

Comment

Originally posted by michael412 View Post
          Anyone know about the situation with respect to jury service in the UK? Can one claim for loss of earnings from the courts or failing that does anyone offer insurance against loss of earnings due to jury service? Or can we be exempt from jury service due to its impact on our earnings?

Regards,
          Michael
          This is just bad for Self-Employed people. You do get paid, but what you get is so low compared to what Your Business loses from not doing the work for X weeks. It is possible to be excluded from Jury service if you can demonstrate severe consequences, but in such cases it is more often deferred rather than excluded completely.

http://www.cjsonline.gov.uk/juror/expenses/index.html

Comment

just taken a look at the eligibility criteria and it seems I am eligible for jury duty. bum!

Comment

Just turn up for jury selection unshaved, hungover, smelling and wear torn jeans and a tee shirt with "**** the Muthas" written on it. You'll be back home by lunchtime.

Comment

I think comments such as "he looks guilty" or racist/other prejudice terms will usually get you excused, although they may just move you to a different part of the court room...
                B00med!

Comment

Originally posted by Cheshire Cat View Post
                  just taken a look at the eligibility criteria and it seems I am eligible for jury duty. bum!
                  When you see just who IS eligible, your faith ( if you had any left ) in the justice system will completely disappear!
                  B00med!

Comment

Originally posted by moorfield View Post
                    Just turn up for jury selection unshaved, hungover, smelling and wear torn jeans and a tee shirt with "**** the Muthas" written on it. You'll be back home by lunchtime.
                    Or banged up for contempt of court.
                    Down with racism. Long live miscegenation!

Comment

Working...
                    X