• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Irish v UK Limited company

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Irish v UK Limited company

Hi All,

Im currently about to start my next contract for 6 months. I am currently trading under a uk company and paying nhs etc over here.

Within the next year i will be returning home to Ireland.

I was hoping to start my new contract under an Irish limited company. This is so that i can put some capital into the comapny for when i return back and move home.

I believe if I do this, i will not have to pay any UK corportation tax over here nor worry about IR35 etc?

Would appreciate peoples views on this.

Thanks in advance.

I suspect the problems you will face are:

1. UK Agency refusing to deal with non-UK Limited Company
    2. Legitimately establishing residence of the company as not being the UK. If you are doing all your business from the UK and running the company from the UK then it may not be straightforward.

Comment

Thanks for your reply.

1) The agent has said it was fine on their side as they have delt with me before.

2) Im only running one contract at the moment from the uk and established a uk company at the time becuase previous agent preferred uk company. I have possibly three other contracts in ireland coming up in next year, and it is those people who wish to deal with Irish company. as im selling a product.

Originally posted by Crossroads View Post
      I suspect the problems you will face are:

1. UK Agency refusing to deal with non-UK Limited Company
      2. Legitimately establishing residence of the company as not being the UK. If you are doing all your business from the UK and running the company from the UK then it may not be straightforward.

Comment

You just need to ensure you keep the relevant taxmen happy.

I think the main problem you may have if you ever get investigated is the fact that you lived in the UK with a UK limited company, before you opened up a Irish one and then immediately secured a contract in the UK.

I would make sure that I would do everything to make it look like I've moved back to Ireland. This means trips back every month and I would ensure any family or partner moves over there asap.
        Last edited by SueEllen; 20 June 2008, 16:50.
        "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

Hi SueEllen,

Your correct, i have actually build a house back there and fly back at least twice a month. home insurance car insurance the whole lot. I have more proof that im living there than i have in the UK.

Thanks for your reply.

Originally posted by SueEllen View Post
          You just need to ensure you keep the relevant taxmen happy.

I think the main problem you may have if you ever get investigated is the fact that you lived in the UK with a UK limited company, before you opened up a Irish one and then immediately secured a contract in the UK.

I would make sure that I would do everything to make it look like I've moved back to Ireland. This means trips back every month and I would ensure any family or partner moves over there asap.

Comment

Freedom of Trade

Hi

I'm actually permanently based in Ireland, and have been permy for a while, but do to a change in circumstances I am likely to be back contracting in the UK again.

I'm a little concerned with the comment:

"1. UK Agency refusing to deal with non-UK Limited Company"

Is there any legal basis for this to occur? I mean, what happened to all that EU nonsense, free trade, free services? Can an agency legitamately (is that an oxymoron, legitimate agency :-) ) refuse to trade with an Irish LTD company.

I understand them not perhaps wanting to deal with somewhat dodgy offshore situations, but not a genuine EU LTD. Am I completely wrong here?

I mean, my home, my mortgage, just about everything would be based in Ireland, only me based in UK Mon-Fri to fulfill the contract....

Can anyone help with a reference to the legality of someone refusing? Or does it depend on the agency's attirude?

Thanks

JM

Comment

Working...
            X