• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Holiday enforcement?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Holiday enforcement?

I've had an email from my manager saying that the compliance department requires me to take at least 1 holiday of 10 consecutive working days this year.

This doesn't fit in with my holiday plans for this year (having just taken 7 days, and probably my longest holiday of the year). Am I obliged to take the 10 days?

Originally posted by fiddlesticks View Post
    I've had an email from my manager saying that the compliance department requires me to take at least 1 holiday of 10 consecutive working days this year.

This doesn't fit in with my holiday plans for this year (having just taken 7 days, and probably my longest holiday of the year). Am I obliged to take the 10 days?
    Erm, are you a contractor? Obvious question really, but if you are, you can inform them that your company has it's own holiday policy, or something like that. I'm not sure they can legally do that to you - sounds like D&C to me. Check your contract/work schedule.

Comment

Tell them to f*** off.

Unless they are a manufacturing plant or something with a close down period where everyone has to take holiday they can't enforce you to take holidays of a specific minimum length.

Even when I was permie I refused to let anyone dictate how long my holidays where going to be. I've always taken short or very long holidays. I've only once been on a 2 week holiday..............
      "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

Actaully.... its a reasonable request in some industries. As they say that most financial scams cannot be maintained without personal input for more than 2 weeks, it will be an audit requirement that everyone has at least 10 days away (in a row) from company computers once a year.

Comment

Yep, I'm a contractor currently working for an investment bank...

Comment

Originally posted by fiddlesticks View Post

While you might argue that you are not obliged to take the ten days, it is normal for financial companies and if you refuse, you may find that they enforce it by terminating you.

Comment

Originally posted by Gonzo View Post
              While you might argue that you are not obliged to take the ten days, it is normal for financial companies and if you refuse, you may find that they enforce it by terminating you.
              Agreed - I've had this a couple of times although the company were more honest saying that it was to save money near the year end.
              You can either put up with it or you will need to start looking elsewhere.

Comment

yes, the compliance dept will require 10 days' absence ('continuous' is the giveaway) but your contact has assumed this means holiday. Whether you spend the 10 days in Torremolinos or consulting for the bank next door is your own affair.

Comment

This is a common requirement for permies in IBs. In my experience these kind of emails periodically originate from some HR jobsworth who's got an objectives box to tick, but I've never come across it actually being "enforced" for contractors or pimps getting stroppy about it. My usual tactic is just to nod my head and mumble "yes boss, I'll book something in the holiday calendar". Invariably, 3 weeks later, it's been forgotten about after said HR jobsworth has finished running their quarter end holidays report.

As I have posted recently, some of us are now facing "holiday enforcement" by a cap on our annual no. of invoicing days, but this is a slightly different issue about clients cost control not their compliance procedures.
                  Last edited by moorfield; 20 June 2008, 21:06.

Comment

Originally posted by Gonzo View Post
                    Er, dont know what 'financial' companies you've worked for but I've worked for Barclays, Norther Rock and Bank of America (twice). Im coming up to 2 years with BoA.

I've never been asked to take any leave in any contract role, nor would I. Complying with their 'directive' could be argued to be a pointer of employment and hence IR35.

Deffo tell them sorry, Im not a permie and take leave as and when my co decides, not you.
                    I couldn't give two fornicators! Yes, really!

Comment

Working...
                    X