• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Mobile Phone Upgrade

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Mobile Phone Upgrade

I have a Nokia N73 on a monthly contract with 3. I'd like to pretend I chose this after rigorous selection procedure, but I didn't, however since getting I find it has some excellent features that I use - mainly, though (aside from txt and talking) I use it as a 3G modem allowing me to post on here and surf.

3 wrote to me saying I'm due an upgrade, and it seems I could get a few more geeky features by going to a Nokia N95 8gb. Mainly these are faster 3G speed, wireless internet access, a bigger screen and built in GPS.

However, when I visited the 3 shop, the upgrade seemed only to be available by paying a higher monthly charge, which seems a bit daft.

So my question is - anyone have an N95 (or something they reckon is just as good) on a monthly contract - I am currently paying £35 + £15(3GB Internet), but they seem to be giving me a £15 per month loyalty bonus - and the package is 700 minutes or texts per month.

I am thinking if 3 can't do a bit better,it might be worth going to a different operator, although I do need good 3g coverage.

Can I ask how you find 3? Because I find reception dreadful - I cant wait to switch to a new provider.

Comment

Originally posted by BrilloPad View Post
      Can I ask how you find 3? Because I find reception dreadful - I cant wait to switch to a new provider.
      Reception has always been A1 for me - very few places I don't get a good signal (and those few seem to be the same ones where people on other networks also have problems.
      Last edited by Peoplesoft bloke; 22 June 2008, 18:55.

Comment

I have an N95 8GB, upgraded to it from my Ericsson k810i (Which I didnt like all that much) 3 weeks ago.

N95 has to be the worst phone I've ever had.
        SLOW doesn't even describe it. I added a shortcut to take me straight into "Create new sms" - press the button, and two seconds later it opens the new sms.
        Radio has a terrible reception.
        Had a picture of the kids as my wallpaper, one day it blanked the whole screen out with a big black block - can only clear it by switching the phone off and on. Did it again, numerous times.
        Last week it froze completely, had to remove the battery to make it go again.

Was sent a new one on saturday, but I've just stuck my SIM into the Ericsson, not even going to go near it again.

Plus the jack for the headphones is in the stupidest place ever.

Trash. Not pleased at all!!

Rhubarb.

Comment

I quite like my N95 8gb - Yesterday while I was sat waiting at the that big council house at Eastlands (Man Citys ground) for Bon Jovi to kick off I watched a few episodes of Peep Show on it to while away the time. The quality is quite good. I don't do a lot if texting with it as I have never really got the whole texting thing. Why spend multiples of a text charge to send a blip of data on the network when you can call the person.

It is also handy to have as I can check my mail on it - they block the web mail here.

I pay a total of £38 per month to 3. That includes the £5 per month for their internet usage thing. I get 300 mins to any other network and 300 mins to another 3 handset (my wife is on 3). She has a n73 and it is rubbish!
          Rule Number 1 - Assuming that you have a valid contract in place always try to get your poo onto your timesheet, provided that the timesheet is valid for your current contract and covers the period of time that you are billing for.

I preferred version 1!

Comment

Originally posted by TonyEnglish View Post
            I quite like my N95 8gb - Yesterday while I was sat waiting at the that big council house at Eastlands (Man Citys ground) for Bon Jovi to kick off I watched a few episodes of Peep Show on it to while away the time. The quality is quite good. I don't do a lot if texting with it as I have never really got the whole texting thing. Why spend multiples of a text charge to send a blip of data on the network when you can call the person.

It is also handy to have as I can check my mail on it - they block the web mail here.

I pay a total of £38 per month to 3. That includes the £5 per month for their internet usage thing. I get 300 mins to any other network and 300 mins to another 3 handset (my wife is on 3). She has a n73 and it is rubbish!
            Oi Tony, does you N95 lock up at all?

The reason I ask is a mate of mine is on his 3rd N95...

Comment

Nope not really. A guy I work with has the older N95 and it seems a bit more buggy than the newer 8gb version. To be honest I don't really push it though. I use it as a phone and email thing and sometimes use it for watching/listening to stuff with. As I have a MP3 player also, I tend to use that for music/video but I lent that to my son yesterday so that he could listen to a story while we were waiting for events to kick off.

The camera is better than the camera I had in my last phone (k800i)

I did buy a bigger battery for mine though as the one I got with it was rubbish - My original N95 got nicked, so I bought one off somebody on ebay and the battery I got with it was seriously rubbish. Therefore my phone looks even more brick like that most!
              Rule Number 1 - Assuming that you have a valid contract in place always try to get your poo onto your timesheet, provided that the timesheet is valid for your current contract and covers the period of time that you are billing for.

I preferred version 1!

Comment

I've flashed my N95 (old version) to the latest firmware (V21) and it has sorted out most of my niggles (the battery life is still not so good).

Overall I am fairly happy with it.

If I had my time again I'd probably get a new iPhone from O2 business (free with £35 contracts).

HTH

Comment

I upgraded to the Ericsson w960i a while ago. First impressions were good, but I've got fed up with the damn thing and gone back to my trusty w810i. I got pissed off with the touch screen on the w960i. I don't have dainty fingers and slapping sausages all over it got me nowhere. It comes with a little pointer thing, but it is just a real pain.

The w810i is a great little phone, has exactly what I want, but no 3g. I wish they would bring out a w810i with 3g. I'd buy one for each ear.

Comment

Working...
                  X