• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Doom gloom and more doom

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Doom gloom and more doom

That's all the media seems to talk about. Got me wondering though, are people as pessimistic as the media? Read a local report yesterday, 2000 people in the Edinburgh area were continuing as normal with spending habits. 90% acknowledged tighter times but were not phased by it except for a small few.

Have I missed something? Reading the tabloids you'd think all out Armageddon was upon us.
    "Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience". Mark Twain

Originally posted by scooterscot View Post
    That's all the media seems to talk about. Got me wondering though, are people as pessimistic as the media? Read a local report yesterday, 2000 people in the Edinburgh area were continuing as normal with spending habits. 90% acknowledged tighter times but were not phased by it except for a small few.

Have I missed something? Reading the tabloids you'd think all out Armageddon was upon us.
    Did they canvas 2000 rich people? I think it's the underclass that are suffering badly...
    ‎"See, you think I give a tulip. Wrong. In fact, while you talk, I'm thinking; How can I give less of a tulip? That's why I look interested."

Comment

Originally posted by Moscow Mule View Post
      Did they canvas 2000 rich people? I think it's the underclass that are suffering badly...
      According to the report many of them were first time buyers, 90% of which were still intent on buying this summer.
      "Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience". Mark Twain

Comment

We're all doomed....DOOOMED
        I'm alright Jack

Comment

They are just not bright enough to see how much trouble we are in.
          How did this happen? Who's to blame? Well certainly there are those more responsible than others, and they will be held accountable, but again truth be told, if you're looking for the guilty, you need only look into a mirror.

Follow me on Twitter - LinkedIn Profile - The HAB blog - New Blog: Mad Cameron
          Xeno points: +5 - Asperger rating: 36 - Paranoid Schizophrenic rating: 44%

"We hang the petty thieves and appoint the great ones to high office" - Aesop

Comment

Trouble

Originally posted by HairyArsedBloke View Post
            They are just not bright enough to see how much trouble we are in.

http://www.newstatesman.com/economy/...ousing-british

http://www.newstatesman.com/life-and...ought-property

Some nice articles to further flesh out what HAB has said. IMHO, we are on the cusp of the biggest depression in economic history.

PS. Rather not buy a house now
            There are no evil thoughts except one: the refusal to think

Comment

Originally posted by zeitghost
              Manchester; who would have thought it?

Comment

I do thinks people who paid out for the new builds might suffer the most. An older house with in a historic location selling for the same price as a new build of the same size a few miles away cannot and never will be the same.

Values will collapse sure enough but in the future they'll also recover just like before, I'm sure of it.

We're all obsessed with living somewhere nice in the ideal location, this ideal will not dry up soon, and this ideal house is not likely to be a shoe box on the 20th floor built by barret, that's for sure.

Comment

Originally posted by sunnysan View Post
                  http://www.newstatesman.com/economy/...ousing-british

http://www.newstatesman.com/life-and...ought-property

Some nice articles to further flesh out what HAB has said. IMHO, we are on the cusp of the biggest depression in economic history.

PS. Rather not buy a house now
                  Excellent article, cuts to the heart of the issue. Intresting that central banks lent money to banks to try and ease the credit crisis - ie use the money for new mortagages etc, but instead they invest it in oil and food, making the situation worse. I'd heard rumblings that a large proportion of the recent comodity prices hikes were due in part to traders investing heavily in that area, but didn't know it was funded (unintentionally) by US government, and that it caused as much as 60% of the increases.

Comment

I don't think anything is that bad. If we'd had managed sustainable growth in the property market, there would be all this doom. It's only because of the people banking on the property boom as a way of making money without working or being good at anything that we're in the mess we're in.

As somebody who's sat out the property market, it's all good that prices are dropping, but equally it doesn't really affect me. It's only worth getting involved if the prices drop far enough that substantial gains can be had with relative ease. If that doesn't happen I'll just rent: I don't really care. I've never bought into the idea that life is worthless if you don't own a home.
                    Will work inside IR35. Or for food.

Comment

Working...
                    X