• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Earth 'not at risk' from collider

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Earth 'not at risk' from collider

Our planet is not at risk from the world's most powerful particle physics experiment, a report has concluded.

The document addresses fears that the Large Hadron Collider is so energetic, it could have unforeseen consequences.

Critics are worried that mini-black holes made at the soon-to-open facility on the French-Swiss border might threaten the Earth's very existence.

But the report, issued the European Organization for Nuclear Research, says there is "no conceivable danger".

So that's alright then...

Linky
    Me, me, me...

Have had similar thoughts about this accelerator over the past few years. How can the prove nothing unwanted will happen when the whole point of the experiment is to look for the unknown!?

I think everyone on the planet should have a say if they should throw the switch.
    "Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience". Mark Twain

Comment

The last time someone built one of these it produced not a black hole but a strange quark.

That bimbled its way down to the centre of the planet but did not, as predicted by the loonies, gobble up the planet but instead caused it to fragment.

But that was a long time ago and those fragments are now called the asteroid belt.

HTH
      My all-time favourite Dilbert cartoon, this is: BTW, a Dumpster is a brand of skip, I think.

Comment

Originally posted by RichardCranium View Post
        The last time someone built one of these it produced not a black hole but a strange quark.

That bimbled its way down to the centre of the planet but did not, as predicted by the loonies, gobble up the planet but instead caused it to fragment.

But that was a long time ago and those fragments are now called the asteroid belt.

HTH
        That's all right then

When they were researching the atomic bomb, the scientists were (a couple of years before it happened) seriously worried that they might accidentally burn up the Earth's atmosphere.

In fact Hitler, having read a report on the projected feasibility of constructing a fission weapon and the possible risks entailed, explicitly stated in a handwritten note that he did not want to be remembered by history as having caused such a catastrophe, thereby missing the point somewhat

OK, I made up the very last bit of the previous paragraph, but Hitler did express concern, in a handwritten note, over the possibility that such a weapon might trigger such a result

Meanwhile, in the UK and US, the experimental physicists had done the calculations and worked out that it wouldn't happen.

I daresay the experimental physicists involved in this project have made similar calculations - they probably also have spouses, children and big shiny motor cars that they don't want to see annihilated

Comment

How will the world end?

Not with a bang but a "What the **** was that?"...

Comment

At least if they do destroy the earth the end will be quick.
            Will work inside IR35. Or for food.

Comment

Originally posted by VectraMan View Post
              How quick is quick?

Slow enough for an "Ow, that hurts!" or merely an "oh fu..."?

Comment

Originally posted by VectraMan View Post
                It'll be the best roller-coaster you've ever been on - as you're sucked into the event horizon...
                ‎"See, you think I give a tulip. Wrong. In fact, while you talk, I'm thinking; How can I give less of a tulip? That's why I look interested."

Comment

Originally posted by Moscow Mule View Post
                  It'll be the best roller-coaster you've ever been on - as you're sucked into the event horizon...
                  they always have height restrictions on those things so at least the kids will be alright.

Comment

Originally posted by Churchill View Post
                    How quick is quick?

Slow enough for an "Ow, that hurts!" or merely an "oh fu..."?
                    I imagine it'll be reality winking out in a microsecond.

I remember reading that if you went feet first into a black hole, the gravity ramps up so quickly that your legs would have been stretched out several miles long before your upper body experienced any gravity. Which would be nice.
                    Will work inside IR35. Or for food.

Comment

Working...
                    X