• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Work outside IT

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Work outside IT

We talk often of plab Bs.

Anyone had any thoughts about moving in to non IT careers?

I'm a geek so I love computers and enjoy working with them. Don't enjoy many things about corporate environments though.

Can you see yourself doing something else one day, or is this it?

The difficulty is that IT work is well paid and that you build up experience in a particular field.

I'm thinking long term of building up the savings, then splitting my time between managing the portfolio, charity work (quite possibly involving IT) and global travel.

Not sure if living off an investment portfolio is realistic... but a nice day dream.

Originally posted by DieScum View Post
    We talk often of plab Bs.
    Anyone had any thoughts about moving in to non IT careers?
    During the last contractor market depression (about '03) I considered enrolling on one of those 6 week plumbing courses.
    Cooking doesn't get tougher than this.

Comment

I'm going to do one more...

(Sounds like a junkie or a bank robber...)

Seriously, I hate it and I'm going to do something else.

Comment

Start my new career as an Internet marketer on Tuesday. Been messing around with it for 2.5 years now and finally going pro.

Starting off doing stuff for other people while I have more time and energy to build my own sites/subscriber lists.

Never thought I’d get into sales and marketing but I’m fascinated with what makes people click

IGMC
        "Is someone you don't like allowed to say something you don't like? If that is the case then we have free speech."- Elon Musk

Comment

I have a HGV licence, which comes in quite handy when "on the bench". Money isn't great, but is a lot better than £0. That said, very low hassle, and you can do an awful lot of thinking.

My plan B proper though is to get my commercial pilots licence and mix freelance pilot work with the IT stuff. Long way off though, 14 exams, several hundred hours flying... so anyway... back to the grindstone that is IT.

Comment

I've dipped my toe, gingerly and clumsily, in to internet marketing a bit. Get $50 a month from adsense... not sure if that is for me though. I get a bit bored.

I volunteer at this arts centre and we do films and theatre and live music... always enjoy that... I do enjoy IT work often...just not corporate stuff... love what I'm doing at the moment... but I am working from home.

Comment

charity work (quite possibly involving IT)

Not sure if living off an investment portfolio is realistic... but a nice day dream.
              If you haven't got a conventional pension then this is likely to be what you will be doing in retirement, you may be 75 and skint but you will be living off an investment portfolio.

I've tried escaping a few times but once you realise that IT contracting provides a cushier and still reasonably well paid living compared to anything else out there then it's time to come back.

Comment

I have 3 or 4 plan b's at the mo - a couple of them are on hold for different market conditions though.

none of them are IT related - except for needing websites etc.

I really should get on with one of them now - unfortunately, it's the website that needs doing - and I'm not very good at that bit!
                Si posse, recte, si non, quocumque modo rem

Comment

Originally posted by TheBigYinJames View Post
                  During the last contractor market depression (about '03) I considered enrolling on one of those 6 week plumbing courses.
                  I know a PeopleSoft contractor who is also a qualified plumber - I think he did more than a six week course though.

Comment

I've tried escaping a few times but once you realise that IT contracting provides a cushier and still reasonably well paid living compared to anything else out there then it's time to come back.
                    Which is what it probably comes down to. It work can be a chore sometimes but it well paid compared to similar amounts of work and there are plenty of cushy numbers.

Comment

Working...
                    X