• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Most important parts of .Net

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Most important parts of .Net

I've used Visual Studio 2005 with VB.Net and C# for a few months now, and have my own ideas on what are the most used/useful parts.

But I wondered what other .Netters considered the most important aspects one should know, for most purposes and therefore also (sensible) interview questions.

Milan, if you're reading this, now's your chance to "step up to the plate" and show us what you know!

P.S. Language syntax knowledge goes without saying. I was thinking of replies more along the lines of classes and namespaces or subsystems.

A good grasp of what the framework can do for you is major.

It also depends if you are devloping websites (webforms/MVC - asp.net), windows apps or enterprise apps (Class libraries, BizTalk etc).

Irrespective, you NEED to know WCF to have any chance going into the future, WF will become more important and there are already powerful advocates for Windows Card Spaces.

TM

Comment

Originally posted by Marina View Post
      P.S. Language syntax knowledge goes without saying. I was thinking of replies more along the lines of classes and namespaces or subsystems.
      Interviewers always seem interested in the ADO.NET area, webservices including AJAX (best know the differences between roll-your-own AJAX and .NET 2.5 and .NET 3.0 implementations of AJAX. Generics is often another area which separates the .NET 2 men from the .NET 1 boys. I can't stand generics myself, but people seem to like em. Marshalling unmanaged DLLs is also a good topic, if you're going for a hardware type company.
      Cooking doesn't get tougher than this.

Comment

Fishing.net is a good one. And hair.net.

Comment

I've used Visual Studio 2005 with VB.Net and C# for a few months now, and have my own ideas on what are the most used/useful parts.

But I wondered what other .Netters considered the most important aspects one should know, for most purposes and therefore also (sensible) interview questions.

Milan, if you're reading this, now's your chance to "step up to the plate" and show us what you know!

I have a great .net question for interviews, PM if you want me to forward it to you. I dont want it made public as it is my fav for catching out blaggers.

Comment

Delegates and generics would be a couple that spring to mind.
            +50 Xeno Geek Points
            Come back Toolpusher, scotspine, Voodooflux. Pogle
            As for the rest of you - DILLIGAF

Purveyor of fine quality smut since 2005

CUK Olympic University Challenge Champions 2010/2012

Comment

I'm also interested in what people think will be the "must haves" going forward (WCF/WPF/WWF/LINQ) etc, as I have been away from .NET proper for around a year now, and not had chance to have a good play with the newer stuff.

Need to get "current" again before December so that if the bargaining ploy fails then there won't be a subsequent lengthy period on the bench!!

Comment

Ask what part of the IDE they like and what nifty little tricks they have picked up from just using it over a period of time.
                People who have just learnt it from a book will be scrambling for an answer, and people who have worked with it will all have nifty little things to say.. plus you learn some intersting shortcuts.

Comment

Please Note, some of these are 3.5, not 2.0

Any and All Reflections Classes
                  Serialization Classes, both System.RunTime.Serialization & System.Xml.Serialization

and

Web Deployment Projects. Because having to write custom controls that rendered HTML was a pain in the backside... And because compiling a user control previously meant having to hack around behind the scenes to get exactly what you wanted.

Admittedly, these are more like "Nice to haves" as opposed to essentials, but, meh!!!
                  Last edited by Weltchy; 24 June 2008, 10:58.

Comment

One of the most common questions I've had is define boxing. Don't know why I've never thought 'Today, I am going to do some boxing' (although to be perfectly honest the only thing stopping me doing any with the project manager is because she is a woman )

Comment

Working...
                    X