• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Accommodation

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Accommodation

Just seen the threads on London rents and having contracted myself before going back to permanent work a few years ago I've suffered similar problems before.

I always preferred to have decent places to stay in, ideally a rented cottage or similar. However, that required a contract of at least six months and carting furniture around.

I now have, for personal reasons, a house up in Cambridgeshire which I have been renting out but was now intending to sell. But if I can't I'll have to rent it again, but at a better rate than I was before.

Three ways to do this; don't use an agent, rent furnished and rent for short periods one month up to six. Question is would there be a market for this esp. from people who are on short term placements? Fully serviced one bed flats clock in at £100 per day in Cambridge so I had though of renting out for short periods, fully furnished at around £1300 for a four bed house.

Is it a goer? Any likely interest?

Being cambridge, you might try marketing it solely to IT contractors.
    Cooking doesn't get tougher than this.

Comment

Originally posted by HarryPearce View Post
      I always preferred to have decent places to stay in, ideally a rented cottage or similar. However, that required a contract of at least six months and carting furniture around.
      Ditto.

Three ways to do this; don't use an agent, rent furnished and rent for short periods one month up to six. Question is would there be a market for this esp. from people who are on short term placements?

I would. It can be really hard to find places to rent for under 6 months.
      My all-time favourite Dilbert cartoon, this is: BTW, a Dumpster is a brand of skip, I think.

Comment

I've sort of been thinking about the same thing, buts I want to rent out a room in my house, I'm zone 5 so 45mins into London / City but also only 170 mile drive from Manchester and about 20mins to M4, its a good location for getting in and out of London quickly. There is always posts on the forum for people looking for accommodation, may be CUK could have a classified section where we can advertise ? I would be flexible on length of stays and if people wanted to do Monday to Friday only no probs.
        Last edited by Bumfluff; 24 June 2008, 20:53.

Comment

Originally posted by Bumfluff View Post
          There is always posts on the forum for people looking for accommodation, may be CUK could have a classified section where we can advertise ? I would be flexible on length of stays and if people wanted to do Monday to Friday only no probs.
          Now there's a Plan B for somebody.

http://www.contractoruk.com/director...omodation.html
          My all-time favourite Dilbert cartoon, this is: BTW, a Dumpster is a brand of skip, I think.

Comment

Just seen the threads on London rents and having contracted myself before going back to permanent work a few years ago I've suffered similar problems before.

I now have, for personal reasons, a house up in Cambridgeshire which I have been renting out but was now intending to sell. But if I can't I'll have to rent it again, but at a better rate than I was before.

Three ways to do this; don't use an agent, rent furnished and rent for short periods one month up to six. Question is would there be a market for this esp. from people who are on short term placements? Fully serviced one bed flats clock in at £100 per day in Cambridge so I had though of renting out for short periods, fully furnished at around £1300 for a four bed house.

You need a middle man
            Let us not forget EU open doors immigration benefits IT contractors more than anyone

Comment

Originally posted by DodgyAgent View Post
              You need a middle man
              They are called letting agents and they **** up the entire process.

Comment

Working...
              X