• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Should the NHS pay for the consequences of you eating pie?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Should the NHS pay for the consequences of you eating pie?

Obesity drug approved for use in the NHS - what does the panel think?

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/health/7471784.stm

There are already drugs on the NHS that achieve this aim, so the question might be somewhat out of date, but when one of the leading professors says "eat less and move a bit more", why does the taxpayer have to pick up the tab? Presumably because the cost of treatment for other obesity induced illnesses (diabetes, heart disease etc) are more expensive.
    "Experience hath shewn, that even under the best forms of government those entrusted with power have, in time, and by slow operations, perverted it into tyranny. "

Thomas Jefferson

"Rimonabant is already used by thousands of Britons, and, coupled with exercise, could help patients lose up to 10% of their body weight."

10% of a 25 stone beast still leaves a f'in big unit with the same risks as the 25 stone beast...and they still have to do the exercise; presumably something they've been advised to do (and clearly not done) before
    "Experience hath shewn, that even under the best forms of government those entrusted with power have, in time, and by slow operations, perverted it into tyranny. "

Thomas Jefferson

Comment

"Should the NHS pay for the consequences of you jogging?"

"Should the NHS pay for the consequences of getting hurt at the gym?"

"Should the NHS pay for the consequences of you getting hurt in a fight?"

"Should the NHS pay for the consequences of you thoughtlessly stepping into the road?"

"Should the NHS pay for the consequences of you getting hurt doing DIY?"

"Should the NHS pay for the consequences of you getting pregnant?"

"Should the NHS pay for the consequences of your tattoo / piercing going wrong?"

"Should the NHS pay for the consequences of you not wanting that tattoo?"

"Should the NHS pay for the consequences of you doing something stupid because you have a low IQ?"

"Should the NHS pay for the consequences of you getting hurt during a charity stunt?"

Might it be easier to say "Yes" to all than try to spend time and effort working out which ones to say "No" to?
      My all-time favourite Dilbert cartoon, this is: BTW, a Dumpster is a brand of skip, I think.

Comment

Are pies VAT-able? If you're paying tax on all the pies you eat I have no issue with it.
        ǝןqqıʍ

Comment

I was gettin goff the train in London the other day when I saw the oddest thing. A woman incredibly fat on the bottom half but only plump at the top. Must have been a 16 at the top and 20 plus at the bottom. You see quite a lot a fatties these days but that was odd. If you don't have a medical condition is there really any excuse?
          The court heard Darren Upton had written a letter to Judge Sally Cahill QC saying he wasn’t “a typical inmate of prison”.

But the judge said: “That simply demonstrates your arrogance continues. You are typical. Inmates of prison are people who are dishonest. You are a thoroughly dishonestly man motivated by your own selfish greed.”

Comment

Originally posted by DiscoStu View Post
            Are pies VAT-able? If you're paying tax on all the pies you eat I have no issue with it.
            ummmmmm banoffee pie

Who gave me the recipe the other day which I have now lost?

Any chance you could post it again for me? I promise I won't lose it this time..... honest!!
            Bazza gets caught
            Socrates - "The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing."

CUK University Challenge Champions 2010

Comment

Originally posted by Bagpuss View Post
              I was gettin goff the train in London the other day when I saw the oddest thing. A woman incredibly fat on the bottom half but only plump at the top. Must have been a 16 at the top and 20 plus at the bottom. You see quite a lot a fatties these days but that was odd. If you don't have a medical condition is there really any excuse?
              As an ex fattie, I can say there is no excuse for getting that way. The problem is once you are that way it's immensely difficult to do anything about it. Advice from skinny people about eating a bit less and doing a bit of exercise is pretty much useless - that's good advice for weight maintenance, not for massive weight loss. To achieve that you need to do something very drastic, and most people who try, fail. I managed it, but only through the massive application of willpower.
              Cooking doesn't get tougher than this.

Comment

try this one CMmmm yummm
                Your parents ruin the first half of your life and your kids ruin the second half

Comment

Apart from some with thyroid problems or diabetes or other legitimate medical issues - I'd say obesity is a psychological condition, finding 'comfort' in food, being in denial, confidence issues etc... possibly even a kind of reverse body dismorphia.

Or perhaps they're just plain greedy and slovenly. This pill will do little if they don't exercise and eat a balanced diet. Isn't that at the heart of this? How do you 'make' people exercise?

Comment

Originally posted by MrsGoof View Post
                    try this one CMmmm yummm
                    Thanks MrsGoof - that looks yum!!
                    Bazza gets caught
                    Socrates - "The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing."

CUK University Challenge Champions 2010

Comment

Working...
                    X