• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Harman at it again.

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Harman at it again.

Harman pushes discrimination plan
    "The equalities minister said firms should be able to choose a woman over a man of equal ability if they want to."
    "we are clarifying and saying if you want to do it, you can, and it makes it much more open"
    WTF? Saw this on the Beeb earlier today. If companies want to employ older, female or ethnic minority workers, they already can, can't they? She makes my blood boil.

I overheard an HR person telling a colleague "she's of childbearing age, and mid 30s with no kids, so we can strike that one off the list". This was in a large pharma, a couple of years ago. Discrimination is still alive and well.
    The court heard Darren Upton had written a letter to Judge Sally Cahill QC saying he wasn’t “a typical inmate of prison”.

But the judge said: “That simply demonstrates your arrogance continues. You are typical. Inmates of prison are people who are dishonest. You are a thoroughly dishonestly man motivated by your own selfish greed.”

Comment

Originally posted by Bagpuss View Post
      I overheard an HR person telling a colleague "she's of childbearing age, and mid 30s with no kids, so we can strike that one off the list". This was in a large pharma, a couple of years ago. Discrimination is still alive and well.
      I don't doubt it - it's just the way this is pitched to the public - it's nonsensical.

Comment

Why is that discrimination? If someone of either gender is likely to have substantial time off over the next 5 years, irrespective of reason, then surely that will affect their ability to do the job?
        Hard Brexit now!
        #prayfornodeal

Comment

Originally posted by sasguru View Post
          Why is that discrimination? If someone of either gender is likely to have substantial time off over the next 5 years, irrespective of reason, then surely that will affect their ability to do the job?
          As usual the non-thinking sas adds his 1p.

Comment

Based on guess work? They might as well not employ women.
            The court heard Darren Upton had written a letter to Judge Sally Cahill QC saying he wasn’t “a typical inmate of prison”.

But the judge said: “That simply demonstrates your arrogance continues. You are typical. Inmates of prison are people who are dishonest. You are a thoroughly dishonestly man motivated by your own selfish greed.”

Comment

Originally posted by Lucy View Post
              As usual the non-thinking sas adds his 1p.
              #

If you have something against my argument lets hear it. Otherwise you are just adding to the growing impression people have of you on this forum - that you're a pointless squabbler.
              Hard Brexit now!
              #prayfornodeal

Comment

Based on guess work? They might as well not employ women.
                Yes that is unfair. I think there are women who want to have their cake and eat it though. If a woman says she doesn't plan to have kids in X years that is fair enough. Yet, as happened here, there was a woman hired in a key position who disappeared on maternity leave pretty soon after she was hired - leading to having to find her replacement. It wasn't the sort of job that could cope with that disruption.
                Hard Brexit now!
                #prayfornodeal

Comment

#

If you have something against my argument lets hear it. Otherwise you are just adding to the growing impression people have of you on this forum - that you're a pointless squabbler.
                  That is something coming from you, even the mods agree you are the biggest 'squabbler' here.

I am too busy today to argue no-brainers with you.

Comment

Originally posted by Lucy View Post
                    That is something coming from you, even the mods agree you are the biggest 'squabbler' here.

I am too busy today to argue no-brainers with you.
                    Translation: I have no point to make as usual.
                    Hard Brexit now!
                    #prayfornodeal

Comment

Working...
                    X