PDA

View Full Version : Free Advice For Agents

Epiphone
26th June 2008, 10:56
Know what you're selling. If you're telling your clients you can get them the best resources at the best price you damn well better know what the hell you're talking about.

Today's examples (and this is just today)

Agent: what's the difference in 2nd and 3rd line?

Agent: skills needed are tcap, er, tcip, er, how do you say it?
Me: TCP/IP?
Agent: oh yeah, funny words these IT words aren't they!

And I can't even be bothered to type out the details of the guy who doesn't know the name of the client contact for tomorrow's interview and got the name of ClientCo wrong.

Oh, and more free advice: if you leave a voicemail make sure it's intelligible. Non of this "it's gklhjdgh here from dkjlhdsfhd agency about a role. Call me on dlfhdlskfjdkjs" delivered at 100MPH.

That is all. :tantrum::tantrum::tantrum::tantrum:

DiscoStu
26th June 2008, 11:05
I had a mail the other day from an agent about a testing gig at a major retailer who was installing a major new system called EPOS :eyes

dack
26th June 2008, 11:08
Would also be nice if the "perfect contract for you" was actually close to what I was after. Once hauled my @ss to Canary Wharf (I live in South Wales) for a VB6 developer role only to find out they were after a Crystal Reports guy

DiscoStu
26th June 2008, 11:09
Would also be nice if the "perfect contract for you" was actually close to what I was after. Once hauled my @ss to Canary Wharf (I live in South Wales) for a VB6 developer role only to find out they were after a Crystal Reports guy

This is why it's always nice to have a quick phone interview first.

Incognito
26th June 2008, 11:16
what's the difference in 2nd and 3rd line?

What is the difference? You find a companies view of 1st/2nd/3rd/4th are very subjective and in my good old support days (5 years ago) the difference was purely in how much admin rights you had. I worked with far more technical people at 2nd line than there was at 3rd.

Archangel
26th June 2008, 11:38
What is the difference? You find a companies view of 1st/2nd/3rd/4th are very subjective and in my good old support days (5 years ago) the difference was purely in how much admin rights you had. I worked with far more technical people at 2nd line than there was at 3rd.

Look Pal, don't try bringing your very reasonable point of view in here! Spoiling a good rant.:spank:

DodgyAgent
26th June 2008, 11:42
Know what you're selling. If you're telling your clients you can get them the best resources at the best price you damn well better know what the hell you're talking about.

Today's examples (and this is just today)

And I can't even be bothered to type out the details of the guy who doesn't know the name of the client contact for tomorrow's interview and got the name of ClientCo wrong.

Oh, and more free advice: if you leave a voicemail make sure it's intelligible. Non of this "it's gklhjdgh here from dkjlhdsfhd agency about a role. Call me on dlfhdlskfjdkjs" delivered at 100MPH.

That is all. :tantrum::tantrum::tantrum::tantrum:

Have you got his number? :happy

ThomasSoerensen
26th June 2008, 11:46

You want to hire him? :laugh

DodgyAgent
26th June 2008, 11:55
You want to hire him? :laugh

He might be a bit overqualified for me, but I'll give him a go.

Churchill
26th June 2008, 11:57
He might be a bit overqualified for me, but I'll give him a go.

You should be able to get him cheap and I'll train him(:fight:) up for you!

DodgyAgent
26th June 2008, 12:01
You should be able to get him cheap and I'll train him(:fight:) up for you!

Do you know anything about tcap?

Epiphone
26th June 2008, 12:03

Agreed, but there is a distinction in responsibility, rate, expectation etc.

Epiphone
26th June 2008, 12:04

Got an email later from what I think was the same person. Had an 0870 number though which I refuse to use.

DodgyAgent
26th June 2008, 12:05
Got an email later from what I think was the same person. Had an 0870 number though which I refuse to use.

How many agents call you a week?

Epiphone
26th June 2008, 12:06
How many agents call you a week?

This week has been unusually busy. Boomed! etc.

DodgyAgent
26th June 2008, 12:08
This week has been unusually busy. Boomed! etc.

I think you will find that when times are hard they are "encouraged" to pick up the phone and get new business.

Old Greg

The cunning agents use 0870 numbers for you to fax your timesheet to. Try not using that one. Then again, it's the client's phone bill.

Churchill

Do you remember the drawing I made of a protocol stack and the various layers?

Yes, I do - is the short answer!

Epiphone
26th June 2008, 12:10
I think you will find that when times are hard they are "encouraged" to pick up the phone and get new business.

Cue disturbing image of DA in a gimp mask whipping his staff screaming "phones! phones! new business or no gruel!"

Old Greg
26th June 2008, 12:11
Cue disturbing image of DA in a gimp mask whipping his staff screaming "phones! phones! new business or no gruel!"

Perhaps the gimp mask alone is enough to 'encourage' them.

DodgyAgent
26th June 2008, 12:13

That is exactly how it works. MSB used to hang your P45 over your head from the ceiling on a piece of cotton. The manager would wander around the office with a pair of scissors and "snip". Off to the dole office with you.

DodgyAgent
26th June 2008, 12:14
Do you remember the drawing I made of a protocol stack and the various layers?

Yes, I do - is the short answer!

Of course I do :emb

NotAllThere
26th June 2008, 12:17
That is exactly how it works. MSB used to hang your P45 over your head from the ceiling on a piece of cotton. The manager would wander around the office with a pair of scissors and "snip". Off to the dole office with you.

How do you prevent staff from walking of to a competitor/setting themselves up on their own, having just made a copy of your database?

( Apart from the technical skills most agents lack, that is).

Churchill
26th June 2008, 12:22
Of course I do :emb

Sorry mate, didn't mean to embarass you.

ThomasSoerensen
26th June 2008, 12:26
How do you prevent staff from walking of to a competitor/setting themselves up on their own, having just made a copy of your database?

I think you answered your own question :)

DodgyAgent
26th June 2008, 12:27

I was accused of pinching the database off my previous company until one of my former colleagues pointed that I would not know how to

Otherwise, agencies are pretty good at identifying the people that they do not wish to lose and tying them in. If someone leaves and starts dealing with their old customers you will find that their previous agency may stamp on them.

Churchill
26th June 2008, 12:30
I was accused of pinching the database off my previous company until one of my former colleagues pointed that I would not know how to

Otherwise, agencies are pretty good at identifying the people that they do not wish to lose and tying them in. If someone leaves and starts dealing with their old customers you will find that their previous agency may stamp on them.

Yeah, I've always thought that...

How are "Pathway" going to deal with "ClearCube"?

DodgyAgent
26th June 2008, 12:32
Yeah, I've always thought that...

How are "Pathway" going to deal with "ClearCube"?

either in the same way that antoniades used to deal with his staff when they left and set up (baseball bats) or there will be lots of legal letters flying around

Churchill
26th June 2008, 12:34
either in the same way that antoniades used to deal with his staff when they left and set up (baseball bats) or there will be lots of legal letters flying around

Well, we'll wait and see...:eek:

NotAllThere
26th June 2008, 14:40
I was accused of pinching the database off my previous company until one of my former colleagues pointed that I would not know how to...

Send a purchase order, and I'm sure one of us will be happy to train you.

( But I guess you just used the old "write the important details down on a bit of paper" trick - that'd fool many agents ).

Moscow Mule
26th June 2008, 14:51

Aye, appen. Goes wi t'wippet.

IGMC.

EternalOptimist
26th June 2008, 14:56

did he ever take you to court dodgy, as he threatened, when A went belly up ?

:rolleyes:

DodgyAgent
26th June 2008, 15:26
did he ever take you to court dodgy, as he threatened, when A went belly up ?

I went and hid in Siberia for a few months until things died down :ohwell

NotAllThere
27th June 2008, 07:20

Is that this (http://archive.theargus.co.uk/2000/5/26/192912.html) Mr Antoniades? - "malevolent, dictatorial" " abused staff with personal names, racist and sexist remarks and swore at them"

Or his daughter?

DodgyAgent
27th June 2008, 07:32
Is that this (http://archive.theargus.co.uk/2000/5/26/192912.html) Mr Antoniades? - "malevolent, dictatorial" " abused staff with personal names, racist and sexist remarks and swore at them"

Or his daughter?

that's the one

EternalOptimist
27th June 2008, 07:39
that's the one

Thats what my missus does. drives me fkin barmy. I still dont know which one you mean DA(Dad or daughter)

Churchill
27th June 2008, 07:45
Thats what my missus does. drives me fkin barmy. I still dont know which one you mean DA(Dad or daughter)

I think given the timescales involved it's probably Tony...

Btw, what's "Gary Goldsmith" up to these days?
(I knew him when he was the darling of MDA and driving a red lotus).

DodgyAgent
27th June 2008, 08:07

the dad :emb

RichardCranium
29th June 2008, 01:01
In my many years dealing with MSB as both client and contractor, I find that completely plausible.

Churchill
29th June 2008, 06:10
In my many years dealing with MSB as both client and contractor, I find that completely plausible.

I've only ever done one contract for MSB - they were great, no problems at all.

padinka
29th June 2008, 12:52
that's the one

Aristotle is still going strong in Australia. Is this the same company I wonder and with the same business methods?

http://www.aristotlecorp.com.au/

DodgyAgent
30th June 2008, 08:49
Aristotle is still going strong in Australia. Is this the same company I wonder and with the same business methods?

http://www.aristotlecorp.com.au/

I think so.