• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Free Advice For Agents

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Free Advice For Agents

Know what you're selling. If you're telling your clients you can get them the best resources at the best price you damn well better know what the hell you're talking about.

Today's examples (and this is just today)

Agent: what's the difference in 2nd and 3rd line?
    Agent: skills needed are tcap, er, tcip, er, how do you say it?
    Me: TCP/IP?
    Agent: oh yeah, funny words these IT words aren't they!
    And I can't even be bothered to type out the details of the guy who doesn't know the name of the client contact for tomorrow's interview and got the name of ClientCo wrong.

Oh, and more free advice: if you leave a voicemail make sure it's intelligible. Non of this "it's gklhjdgh here from dkjlhdsfhd agency about a role. Call me on dlfhdlskfjdkjs" delivered at 100MPH.

That is all.

I had a mail the other day from an agent about a testing gig at a major retailer who was installing a major new system called EPOS
    ǝןqqıʍ

Comment

Would also be nice if the "perfect contract for you" was actually close to what I was after. Once hauled my @ss to Canary Wharf (I live in South Wales) for a VB6 developer role only to find out they were after a Crystal Reports guy
      You ain't seen me, right!

Comment

Originally posted by dack View Post
        Would also be nice if the "perfect contract for you" was actually close to what I was after. Once hauled my @ss to Canary Wharf (I live in South Wales) for a VB6 developer role only to find out they were after a Crystal Reports guy
        This is why it's always nice to have a quick phone interview first.
        ǝןqqıʍ

Comment

Originally posted by Epiphone View Post
          what's the difference in 2nd and 3rd line?
          What is the difference? You find a companies view of 1st/2nd/3rd/4th are very subjective and in my good old support days (5 years ago) the difference was purely in how much admin rights you had. I worked with far more technical people at 2nd line than there was at 3rd.
          "I hope Celtic realise that, if their team is good enough, they will win. If they're not good enough, they'll not win - and they can't look at anybody else, whether it is referees or any other influence." - Walter Smith

On them! On them! They fail!

Comment

Originally posted by Dave.Mac View Post
            What is the difference? You find a companies view of 1st/2nd/3rd/4th are very subjective and in my good old support days (5 years ago) the difference was purely in how much admin rights you had. I worked with far more technical people at 2nd line than there was at 3rd.
            Look Pal, don't try bringing your very reasonable point of view in here! Spoiling a good rant.

Comment

Originally posted by Epiphone View Post
              Know what you're selling. If you're telling your clients you can get them the best resources at the best price you damn well better know what the hell you're talking about.

Today's examples (and this is just today)

And I can't even be bothered to type out the details of the guy who doesn't know the name of the client contact for tomorrow's interview and got the name of ClientCo wrong.

Oh, and more free advice: if you leave a voicemail make sure it's intelligible. Non of this "it's gklhjdgh here from dkjlhdsfhd agency about a role. Call me on dlfhdlskfjdkjs" delivered at 100MPH.

That is all.
              Have you got his number?
              Let us not forget EU open doors immigration benefits IT contractors more than anyone

Comment

Originally posted by DodgyAgent View Post
                Have you got his number?
                You want to hire him?
                "Condoms should come with a free pack of earplugs."

Comment

Originally posted by ThomasSoerensen View Post
                  You want to hire him?
                  He might be a bit overqualified for me, but I'll give him a go.
                  Let us not forget EU open doors immigration benefits IT contractors more than anyone

Comment

Originally posted by DodgyAgent View Post
                    He might be a bit overqualified for me, but I'll give him a go.
                    You should be able to get him cheap and I'll train him() up for you!

Comment

Working...
                    X