• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

You really shouldn't laugh at this....

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

You really shouldn't laugh at this....

From the Telegraph

A German nursing home has come up with a novel idea to stop Alzheimer's patients from wandering off: a phantom bus stop.
    The bus stop, in front of the Benrath Senior Centre in the western city of Düsseldorf, is an exact replica of a standard stop, with one small difference: buses never stop there.

The idea emerged after the centre was forced to rely on police to retrieve patients who wanted to return to their homes and families but had forgotten that in many cases neither existed any longer.

"If we can’t find them then we have to alert the police,” said Benrath's director Richard Neureither. “It can be particularly dangerous if this happens in winter and they spend the night out in the cold.”

Without powers to detain patients, he said, Benrath had been forced to look for other solutions.

“We cannot and must not run after people and lock them up,” said Mr Neureither.

Instead, Benrath home teamed up with local care association called the 'Old Lions'. They went to the Rheinbahn transport network which was happy to provide the bus stop to nowhere.

“It sounds funny,” said Old Lions Chairman Franz-Josef Goebel, “but it helps. Our members are 84 years-old on average. Their short-term memory hardly works at all, but the long-term memory is still active. They know the green and yellow bus sign and remember that waiting there means they will go home.” The result is that errant patients now wait for their trip home at the bus stop, before quickly forgetting why they were there in the first place.

“We will approach them and say that the bus is coming later today and invite them in to the home for a coffee,” said Mr Neureither. “Five minutes later they have completely forgotten they wanted to leave.” The idea has proved so successful that it has now been adopted by several other homes across Germany.
    "Being nice costs nothing and sometimes gets you extra bacon" - Pondlife.

A friend of mine was a psychiatric nurse working on a geriatric ward a few years ago. Some old boy who was severely demented but still lived at home, cared for by his wife, came in for a couple of weeks of respite care (not sure if they were giving the wife respite from caring, or him respite from the wife).

A couple of hours after he'd arrived, they realised he'd gone walkabout. A check of the hospital and grounds showed no sign of him, so they called the police, gave them a description, and then called his wife, who naturally gave them a right earbashing: "I manage to look after him for months at a time, you've only had him two hours and you've lost him..." etc.

Shortly afterwards they got a call: a police patrol had spotted him wandering down a nearby street. He'd insisted that he was just going to get some milk, but they'd gently but firmly encouraged him to get into the car, they'd make sure he was safe, and so forth, and he'd reluctantly acquiesced and should be back in a few minutes.

So they phoned his wife to let him know that he was on his way back to the ward.

"Oh, is he?" she replied. "So how come he wandered in through the back door a couple of minutes ago and is sitting at the kitchen table with a cup of tea?"

Just then the police car turned up, and they led the entirely undemented, but by now thoroughly frightened, random old man they'd hauled off the street onto the ward saying "Here you are, they'll look after you, don't try to run away again" and so on.

Taking one look around, he collapsed in terror and, as there was no A&E department at that hospital, they had to call an ambulance to get him to the Royal Infirmary with a suspected heart attack.

Comment

Originally posted by zeitghost
      You've got larf...

Then you'll never go to heaven...

Someone shoot me before I get to that stage please.
      How many millenia does it take for your kind to go senile?

Comment

You've got larf...

Stand still......
        "Being nice costs nothing and sometimes gets you extra bacon" - Pondlife.

Comment

My aunt had alzheimer's (god rest her soul), luckily she was happy alzhiemers but she did tend to say things as she saw them, I remeber once I was with my gf of the time (the b*tch ) and in front of all my family at a family do she turned round and said to my ex 'Gosh arent you fat' didnt seem funny at the the time but now how I laugh

Comment

Originally posted by PRC1964 View Post
            How many millenia does it take for your kind to go senile?
            They're born that way!

Aren't you Zeity dear, yes.

Comment

Originally posted by Bumfluff View Post
              My aunt had alzheimer's (god rest her soul), luckily she was happy alzhiemers but she did tend to say things as she saw them, I remeber once I was with my gf of the time (the b*tch ) and in front of all my family at a family do she turned round and said to my ex 'Gosh arent you fat' didnt seem funny at the the time but now how I laugh
              When I was about sixteen my Uncle George was staying with us when my older sister turned up with her boyfriend. Upon being introduced, Uncle George shook his hand, saying "Very pleased to meet you."

He then added "Mind, I don't suppose I'll be seeing you again," turned to my sister and asked "So what happened to the other fellow?"

The great thing was, he didn't have Alzheimers... it was just his way

Comment

You've got larf...

It's heartbreaking to be with someone you love who has dementia. You see the old familiar body, but the mind, the real person, has already gone forever, and you'll never see them again.

Comment

Originally posted by expat View Post
                  It's heartbreaking to be with someone you love who has dementia. You see the old familiar body, but the mind, the real person, has already gone forever, and you'll never see them again.
                  whs

Comment

Working...
                  X