• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Effing Contractors

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Effing Contractors

About 2 years ago I thought I had placed a senior contractor (I had even driven him to the interview) at a good client of mine. The b**tard then decides to change his mind at the last minute. Part of me wants to throw my toys out of the pram, but I didnt. I didnt rubbish the contractor, and to be honest I should have spotted the signs earlier and dealt with him before hand.

The senior contractor and I did not fall out. He was not particularly contrite or apologetic about what had happened, but c'est la vie. Today we have another job for him at a new client and one of my staff calls him. True to form he gives my resourcer a good grilling about the role and agrees for us to send him forward, but no CV arrives.

We call him and he tells us that he is going direct as he knows one of the senior managers at the client site (to be fair he knew about the jobs anyway)

So I call him and appeal to his kinder nature (though he had never shown any signs of having one) and remind him of the fact that thanks to us taking much of the blame he was not spoiled from going back to that client. Anyway much to my surprise it worked and he has agreed to go through us.

The moral is that no matter how much people shi* on you, always keep your foot in the door as one day it might just open up for you.
    Let us not forget EU open doors immigration benefits IT contractors more than anyone

as you say, "c'est la vie"

Comment

My agency, at the bequest of the client wants me to accept a no termination notice period, whereas I'm committed. I've declined, even a week ago, but the client is stonewalling assuming because the market is difficult I'll accept at the last minute.

I'm going to enjoy watching them squirm, when I dictate my new notice period on the last day, as it will cause a significant delay on their current project.

Oh how I will laugh, because I don't really care either way.

I'm alright Jack

Comment

Originally posted by BlasterBates View Post
        My agency, at the bequest of the client wants me to accept a no termination notice period, whereas I'm committed. I've declined, even a week ago, but the client is stonewalling assuming because the market is difficult I'll accept at the last minute.

I'm going to enjoy watching them squirm, when I dictate my new notice period on the last day, as it will cause a significant delay on their current project.

Oh how I will laugh, because I don't really care either way.

How grown up and businesslike of you
        Let us not forget EU open doors immigration benefits IT contractors more than anyone

Comment

Dodgy I have made an offer that is quite reasonable, whereby I have a months notice and they can keep their immediate termination. Someone is playing "hardball". The reason I'm not accepting is because it is abundantly clear they are not going to honour the 6 month contract.

But I am going to enjoy watching the ructions, and the arrogant manager who thinks he can dictate his conditions get his bottom kicked.

He's poker player, who doesn't understand the business he recently took over, and he thinks he has the better hand.

....but he doesn't

I'm alright Jack

Comment

Originally posted by BlasterBates View Post
            Dodgy I have made an offer that is quite reasonable, whereby I have a months notice and they can keep their immediate termination. Someone is playing "hardball". The reason I'm not accepting is because it is abundantly clear they are not going to honour the 6 month contract.

But I am going to enjoy watching the ructions, and the arrogant manager who thinks he can dictate his conditions get his bottom kicked.

He's poker player, who doesn't understand the business he recently took over, and he thinks he has the better hand.

....but he doesn't

Keep us posted

Comment

Had the opposite once. An ex-manager called me direct (I had previously worked for him as a permie) and said he'd had my CV through an agent - we negotiated a direct rate. Then the agent calls me and wants to take a cut (only about 3%) - anyway I continued direct - and it was a pain getting the money out of them - I had to go through their finance department, endless phone calls - every month they were late and nearly always made some mistakes in the amount - they queried my invoices and generally were unhelpful. In hindsight I should have gone through the agent to save all that hassle.

Comment

Originally posted by DodgyAgent View Post
                Keep us posted
                It was the f***ing agent.

I spoke to the client this morning and he agreed with me "I'll sort it out" he said, so my theory of a bad inflexible manager was wrong

I've been conducting my negotiations with the agent, and he said it reflected what the client said, but this wasn't true. What a p**ock. The truth was the budget wasn't approved, so the agent decided to give me a notice period that covered their backs.

Bl***dy agents

Back to normality.
                Last edited by BlasterBates; 27 June 2008, 06:57.
                I'm alright Jack

Comment

Question for Dodgy

Dodgy Agent

If the contractor had no notice period, but bailed out early, and the client wasnt too fussed (because there was cover for example, or the work was finished) would you still whack the contractor for some form of redress(e.g. compensation)

I havn't in the past, but am now condsidering getting this clause removed/amended for future contracts, cos it scares me

(\__/)
                  (>'.'<)
                  ("")("") Born to Drink. Forced to Work

Comment

Originally posted by EternalOptimist View Post
                    Dodgy Agent

If the contractor had no notice period, but bailed out early, and the client wasnt too fussed (because there was cover for example, or the work was finished) would you still whack the contractor for some form of redress(e.g. compensation)

I havn't in the past, but am now condsidering getting this clause removed/amended for future contracts, cos it scares me

Even if it p**ssed off the client I wouldnt bother. I would only consider such a move if the client came after me, which would be highly unlikely. Agencies who pursue this are mad and are usually bluffing anyway.

Comment

Working...
                    X