• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

I don't quite understand

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I don't quite understand

Is it just Brits or what?

I regulrarly go to pubs that are open 23 hours a day and go offdrinking with mates here for long sessions and hardly ever see any violence, even in some dodgy areas. Is this just a cultural mindset or are Brits turning into even bigger idiots?
    Brexit is having a wee in the middle of the room at a house party because nobody is talking to you, and then complaining about the smell.

no you're correct, here on the mainland you can drink until the early hours or longer and have a good time not see any trouble

as long as they stay in the UK who cares ?

Milan.

Comment

It is scare mongoring.

As we all know, relaxed hours on the mainland leads to less alcohol related problems, I expect it will go the same way in the UK but it will take some time for the Brits to change their habits. In the mean time I expect there will be a sharp increase in drunkenness and associated behaviour.
      Remember that Brits are used to binge drinking, legally and culturally we are forced into it. We only have a few hours which we can spend in the pub, so we tend to spend that time shifting as much drink as we can. This will continue untill the Brits realise that there is no need to rush as they can have another pint whenever they like.
      These scare mongors dont seem to realise that we will still only have the X number of pounds to spend on drink in a week, if we spend it all on a big night out as per normal then we will be well skint by the end of the night, or going home earlier than those who have learned to moderate their habits.
      I am not qualified to give the above advice!

The original point and click interface by
      Smith and Wesson.

Step back, have a think and adjust my own own attitude from time to time

Comment

Originally posted by The Lone Gunman
        It is scare mongoring.

As we all know, relaxed hours on the mainland leads to less alcohol related problems,
        Well my million quid says otherwise.

IMHO Parental discipline (at a younger age) leads to less alcohol related problems at the later age. Parental discipline in the UK has for a long time been non-existent in many families, but is still the norm in most European countries.

This idea that there is a causal effect between opening hours and violence is a complete nonsense. The violence is cause by people walking around with an "I can do what I like and sod the rest of you" attitude. An attitude that is all too common in the UK and virtually non existant elsewhere in Europe.

Tim

Comment

The violence is cause by people walking around with an "I can do what I like and sod the rest of you" attitude. An attitude that is all too common in the UK and virtually non existant elsewhere in Europe.
          Ah, but you forget "ze Germans" and "the Dutch" youth are heading in much the same direction!

Comment

Originally posted by tim123
            Well my million quid says otherwise.

IMHO Parental discipline (at a younger age) leads to less alcohol related problems at the later age. Parental discipline in the UK has for a long time been non-existent in many families, but is still the norm in most European countries.

This idea that there is a causal effect between opening hours and violence is a complete nonsense. The violence is cause by people walking around with an "I can do what I like and sod the rest of you" attitude. An attitude that is all too common in the UK and virtually non existant elsewhere in Europe.

Tim
            I agree with that, but most of them are restrained enough not to be violent on a day to day basis, rude and aggressive but not violent, but when you add alcohol to excess.....
            Those people will still be just as drunk without extra hours, the extra hours may do us all a favour by letting them drink to oblivion or even drink themselves to death.
            I am not qualified to give the above advice!

The original point and click interface by
            Smith and Wesson.

Step back, have a think and adjust my own own attitude from time to time

Comment

Those people will still be just as drunk without extra hours, the extra hours may do us all a favour by letting them drink to oblivion or even drink themselves to death.
              It's happening already, the number of under 30 year olds with Liver Disease is escalating!

Comment

Tsk tsk tsk I don't know why all the hand-wringing

It's not difficult to solve really.
                If people can't behave within society then remove them from society.
                Why not?

Comment

When is the 24 hour drinking thing supposed to go live?

Personaly I don't think the binge drinking thing has got any worse than when I first started going out about 20 years ago. The difference is that now there are a huge number of CCTV cameras able to capture pictures of tanked up kids. In the mid 80's these cameras were not as common place. As a result the images are now much more readily available.
                  Rule Number 1 - Assuming that you have a valid contract in place always try to get your poo onto your timesheet, provided that the timesheet is valid for your current contract and covers the period of time that you are billing for.

I preferred version 1!

Comment

Originally posted by Dundeegeorge
                    It's not difficult to solve really.
                    If people can't behave within society then remove them from society.
                    Ah, a use for the soon-to-be-patented SupremeSpod "Chav Removal by means of Explosive Compounds and Large Field" method!

Comment

Working...
                    X