• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Maximise income

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Maximise income

Hi,

I, as most of you own myco. What I'm thinking of is taking the most income home without going into the higher tax bracket. So how I thought I would achieved this is by paying myself a salary of 35,999, paying all the PAYE on that @ 20% income tax, employers NI and Employees NI. Then after all that was done, pay corp tax on any profits and then take 35,999 in dividend and pay then 10% tax on that.

I'm thinking that salary income and div income are 2 seperate things and therefore if I was to do the above I wouldn't break into the higher rate tax band.

Any thoughts much appreicated
    Have Fun!

Originally posted by Bomber View Post
    Hi,

I, as most of you own myco. What I'm thinking of is taking the most income home without going into the higher tax bracket. So how I thought I would achieved this is by paying myself a salary of 35,999, paying all the PAYE on that @ 20% income tax, employers NI and Employees NI. Then after all that was done, pay corp tax on any profits and then take 35,999 in dividend and pay then 10% tax on that.

I'm thinking that salary income and div income are 2 seperate things and therefore if I was to do the above I wouldn't break into the higher rate tax band.

Take cover

Comment

I'm thinking that salary income and div income are 2 seperate things ..
      You think wrong. The 40% tax rate applies when you exceed the limit for your TOTAL earnings.
      Down with racism. Long live miscegenation!

Comment

Personal tax is based on your gross personal earnings from any source and has been since around 1825. But how is life on planet Zorg, anyway...?
        Blog? What blog...?

Comment

Take professional advice.

Comment

Hi,

Comment

Thanks

Wishful thinking I know. Zorg is ok, I hear the weather is better on safire so I'm floating around the void atm.
              Have Fun!

Comment

Hi,

Brilliant, you have brightened up my day :-)

Comment

Sadly the operative word is 'income' as in 'Income Tax' - don't matter where it comes from - pay, interest from savings, dividends, etc. - if it's any type of income you get (other than capital gains and inheritance which have their own taxes) is usually covered by Inc. Tax and all the different sources are grossed up - what you do get is a tax credit for the corp tax your LTD already paid that offsets the basic rate element of income tax due on your divis.

Now that raises a question in my mind - now that corp tax is up at 21% and basic rate tax is down at 20% has anyone worked out if this has any effect on how much we should pay as PAYE vss Divis to minimise tax.

Comment

Mal, I'm slightly concerned that the recent toning down of your responses has resulted in more stupid questions being asked on this board than previously.

Can we have the old intolerant Mal back please?

Originally posted by malvolio View Post
                    Personal tax is based on your gross personal earnings from any source and has been since around 1825. But how is life on planet Zorg, anyway...?

Comment

Working...
                    X