• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Remote Working No 10 Petition

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Remote Working No 10 Petition

Hello,

As a home-based contract worker for the last 4 years, I am petitioning the government to provide tax incentives to business to encourage them to allow more of their staff to work remotely.

The petition url is: http://petitions.pm.gov.uk/remoteworking/

Please sign it if you agree, the wording is also below:

Thanks,

Ian

Every day thousands of office workers commute to work. These journeys consume vast amounts of fuel (petrol & diesel) and time, and contribute significantly to pollution.

A lot of the work carried out by these commuters, particularly in IT and Call Centres for example, could be done from home just as effectively. However, business needs a culture change to see the benefits of remote workers, and to learn the necessary management skills required to ensure effective work is carried out 'out of site' of the office.

I am petitioning the government to provide tax incentives to business to encourage them to increase their number of remote workers; and to provide financial help with retraining management to manage their remote workers.

In these days of soaring fuel costs, and continuing damage to the environment, I see this as being a potential major opportunity to help reduce fuel consumption, reducing expense, and helping the environment.

Originally posted by isteel View Post
    Hello,

As a home-based contract worker for the last 4 years, I am petitioning the government to provide tax incentives to business to encourage them to allow more of their staff to work remotely.

Thanks,

Ian

Every day thousands of office workers commute to work. These journeys consume vast amounts of fuel (petrol & diesel) and time, and contribute significantly to pollution.

A lot of the work carried out by these commuters, particularly in IT and Call Centres for example, could be done from home just as effectively. However, business needs a culture change to see the benefits of remote workers, and to learn the necessary management skills required to ensure effective work is carried out 'out of site' of the office.

I am petitioning the government to provide tax incentives to business to encourage them to increase their number of remote workers; and to provide financial help with retraining management to manage their remote workers.

In these days of soaring fuel costs, and continuing damage to the environment, I see this as being a potential major opportunity to help reduce fuel consumption, reducing expense, and helping the environment.
    Wot you mean replace 2000 year old technology (Browns vision of being a world leader in windmills) and fossiles with 21st century technology like the superhighway. Are you mad?

Comment

Originally posted by isteel View Post
      Hello,

Thanks,

Ian

Show me a home worker and I will show you a cost saving opportunity that will benefit the Indian economy.
      Let us not forget EU open doors immigration benefits IT contractors more than anyone

Comment

Originally posted by DodgyAgent View Post
        Show me a home worker and I will show you a cost saving opportunity that will benefit the Indian economy.
        Not if we implement the sasguru plan (which involves a big pair of wire clippers).

Comment

I am with Dodgy on this one. If it can be done from home it can be done from Mumbai.
          I am not qualified to give the above advice!

The original point and click interface by
          Smith and Wesson.

Step back, have a think and adjust my own own attitude from time to time

Comment

Originally posted by The Lone Gunman View Post
            I am with Dodgy on this one. If it can be done from home it can be done from Mumbai.
            If it can be done from Mumbai it will be done from Mumbai by a competitor, and you lose either way. You're not going to stop jobs going to India by hanging on to outdated working practices. But you might stop jobs going to India by hiring the best people, regardless of geography, and allowing them to work in a more flexible way.
            Will work inside IR35. Or for food.

Comment

Can I sign it from home?

I don't see it quite as black and white as it's been put across here. My contract couldn't be fulfilled by someone in India (I'm not a techie BTW). Neither could I do it from home all the time. I visit my client site 1 - 3 times a week, one of their client's sites 1 - 2 times a week, and work at home 1 - 3 times a week. Those 1 - 3 days per week from home couldn't be outsourced.

Having said all that, if you've got someone working at home all the time, then I guess you could outsource abroad, unless you will not be able to find someone there who understands your business to the level of detail required by the contract.

As far as the petition is concerned, many of us try hard for obvious reasons not to appear to be managed workers, but independent contractors producing deliverables to agreed quality, cost and timescales. I'd far rather clients trained their managers to understand why they can stop inviting me to their team meetings to listen to their latest anti-bullying policy.

Comment

Working...
              X