• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Co-Workers... what to do?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Co-Workers... what to do?

Ok, sensible suggestions only please.

I have just been subjected to a barage of abuse from another contractor in the office, for no apparent reason, other than I appear to have been getting on his nerves for a couple of weeks (apparently, first I knew!).

He is trying to concentrate this morning, because the project he is working on is not going well, and he is under pressure. I have had a conversation across the office on 2 occasions and other than that I have been listening to some CDs I downloaded last night.

I have now moved out of the office into another one, because I feel so belittled by what he has just done. I emailed him, explained that I felt it was unfair, unprovoked, and unprofessional. He basically told me to go forth and multiply.

I have emailed ClientCo manager and agency (who he is also with) to raise a grievance; but really don't want to work somewhere where that is tolerated.

Anyone any thoughts?

Firstly, don't be such a soft bitch!

Secondly, if the guy is really under pressure, can you help him? Is there part of his project that you can deal with?

Solidarity brother!

Comment

did he pee on your shoes?

sorry.... no more advice

Comment

Originally posted by HeliCraig View Post

I have just been subjected to a barage of abuse from another contractor in the office, for no apparent reason, other than I appear to have been getting on his nerves for a couple of weeks (apparently, first I knew!).

He is trying to concentrate this morning, because the project he is working on is not going well, and he is under pressure. I have had a conversation across the office on 2 occasions and other than that I have been listening to some CDs I downloaded last night.

I have now moved out of the office into another one, because I feel so belittled by what he has just done. I emailed him, explained that I felt it was unfair, unprovoked, and unprofessional. He basically told me to go forth and multiply.

I have emailed ClientCo manager and agency (who he is also with) to raise a grievance; but really don't want to work somewhere where that is tolerated.

Anyone any thoughts?
        Serious suggestion: Wait and see what the manager says. Hopefully he/she will have a word with the other guy, and tell him to be professional. Other than that, you'll have to live with it.

Humorous suggestion: top him!

Comment

Originally posted by HeliCraig View Post
          You are EO and I claim my £5.

Seriously, I think you've done all you can. Maintain a professional attitude.

I'd wait until he's not under pressure, then ask him why he thought it was ok for him to behave as he did. Depending on how he replied to your email, he may be in contravention of client email policy.
          Down with racism. Long live miscegenation!

Comment

Your choice whether to walk or not. Only you can know how much of an issue this is for you.

I wouldn't accuse you of being unprofessional if you walked after being subject to actual verbal abuse.

Either that or go and tell him how much of an insignificant useless little tulip he is and that he should really get back in his box before you come to blows.
            ‎"See, you think I give a tulip. Wrong. In fact, while you talk, I'm thinking; How can I give less of a tulip? That's why I look interested."

Comment

you've moved away that fast? what do your co-workers think of the situation? if they are non-comital i would guess you have been getting on his (and everyone else's nerves) if they support you - get back in there and stand your ground but be careful - don't give them cause to terminate.

Comment

I am currently torn between staying professional and seeing what happens, and just going back up there and telling him exactly what I (and most other people as far as I can tell) think of his code!!

Opting with the staying professional element at the moment, to avoid a bench period.

Comment

I hate it too when people have conversations across the office when I'm trying to work.

Hand in your notice, start a book on you vs mr grumpy and take it to the car park.

Comment

I agree with Churchill on this one; asking him if you can help would be both an act of conciliation (if you really have annoyed him) and one of solidarity. It also gives you the moral 'high ground' if the situation escalates.
                    The vegetarian option.

Comment

Working...
                    X