• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Next General Election

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Next General Election

Are we at the point where the next general election is a done deal? Is it just a matter of time before we get rid of the NL project?

I'm loving this quote from the Telegraph comments. I just had to share it:

The entire Labour cabinet should have their heads opened up their brains scooped out. tulip could be poured in, and their heads could be sealed back up again.

This could help them fight back and improve their ratings.
    Older and ...well, just older!!

I can't bring myself to laugh at the whole New Labour disaster. The fact that they've pissed away billions upon billions on our ridiculously bloated public sector in the name of "investment" makes me quite sick.
    ǝןqqıʍ

Comment

Originally posted by ratewhore View Post
      Are we at the point where the next general election is a done deal? Is it just a matter of time before we get rid of the NL project?

I'm loving this quote from the Telegraph comments. I just had to share it:

I suspect we probably are - it reminds me of the last years of John Major - 22 tax rises or new taxes in his last government, in-fighting, public expenditure sums didn't (don't) add up.

I will be voting Tory for the first time in my life, on the single issue of ID cards.

Comment

You have to wonder if Labour's policy is now to run the country into the ground before the Conservatives get hold of it, and hope that the Tories still won't have sorted out the mess 5 years on and they'll have a chance of getting back in.
        Will work inside IR35. Or for food.

Comment

Twins

Labour and ZANU-PF have got very much in common: a discredited leader and a country on the verge of economic collapse.

Comment

Originally posted by VectraMan View Post
            You have to wonder if Labour's policy is now to run the country into the ground before the Conservatives get hold of it, and hope that the Tories still won't have sorted out the mess 5 years on and they'll have a chance of getting back in.
            Unfortunately this widely entrenched view of what Labour and Conservative governments respectively do to the economy is far from true.

The idea that Labour gets into a mess, and the Tories sort it out, has no foundation in reality; and I am looking back over quite a number of governments whan I say that. For example, outgoing chancellor Reginald Maudling had the decency to say to incoming Jim Callaghan, "sorry to leave you such a mess, old cock". I don't think he was talking about the decor in No 11.

Blair's Labour got Brits our highest GDP per head ever, and that higher than the Germans and ther French; Thatcher never did that.

Of course you could argue that Thatcher did the work, and Labour reaped the benefits. Probably you will. But you don't know.

Comment

As an Old Labour type, I find this whole thing utterly depressing. NL were always going to be a disaster, but they've really excelled themselves. I can count on the fingers on one finger the things they've achieved - otherwise it's been more of the same with added ID cards and wars. Marvellous! I've spoilt my ballot paper in every general election since '92. This time I intend to soil it.

Comment

Originally posted by Dow Jones View Post
                Labour and ZANU-PF have got very much in common: a discredited leader and a country on the verge of economic collapse.
                Ignorant and insulting to the people of Zimbabwe

Comment

It's a comparison that makes me laugh (although I shouldn't) but it doesn't bear any serious consideration.

No way Zanu-Pf would have lost their deposit in Henley

Comment

I've been around long enough to see a curious, and indeed pernicious, effect: right-wingers invariably describe Labour governments and leaders in those terms.

As if Blair and Brown were "discredited" in a different way from, say Major or Heath. As if the country is "on the verge of economic collapse" in a way that it wasn't on the departure from the ERM, Lawson's high interest rates and negative equity, or Barber's hyper-inflation.

It's rubbish. They want things that you don't, like all politicians. They fail to achieve all that they want, like all politicians. They do things that not everyone likes, like all politicians. If you confuse them with ZANU-PF, I will come up with an air ticket to Harare, and you can proclaim the same views there. A single ticket should do.

Comment

Working...
                    X